Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL I have the opposite problem as the other guy. someone painted the CRV I just bought flat black, that includes the wheels and the grill.

on the grill that paint is flaking off of where it was chrome, because of course it would.

I scratch at it now and then to get more off , but am wondering if anyone knows of a something i can use to more easily remove it from that chrome plastic that wont effect that chrome.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Its not real chrome...so you can't bead-blast it or anything.

Easiest action might be to buy a junkyard grill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more of a solvent that would work on the paint but not the plastic chrome.

I could elbow grease it off, i just looking for an easier route

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"might" is the operative word here, which I know and is why I am asking .

if you dont know then thats fine, but it doesnt mean buying a new grill is my only option

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked on here becuase I was already looking for an answer to an issue thats specific to my CRV already

I went ahead and looked this up and for anyone else who wants to know an answer to this the options are

brake fluid, oven cleaner and
Kent® Acrysol Paint Preparation and Auto Body Solvent

make sure to test a small spot because the plastic chrome underneath can vary. oven cleaner may take several hours of soaking and a couple of applications

A bit of constructive criticism here that applies to both of my questions put forth on this forum

while its great and I appreciate that people are active and spending time answering questions and helping people - if you dont know an answer or anything thats actually helpful , pointing out the obvious options in lieu of specific answers to the actual question or responding just to respond isnt actually helpful and no response would be better

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If you indeed believe that you can limit responses from other members to only the answer that you want, instead of receiving suggestions in answer to your your questions, then you need to start your own forum, and ban anyone who doesn't answer the questions the way you want them to answer.

Good luck with whatever you do to fix your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It was suggestive criticism. if one is incapable of receiving and understanding said criticism .thats on them

I have no interest in limiting responses of one who chooses to ignore the criticism and instead respond to peoples questions with the generally obvious and unhelpful suggestions. Thats on them

spend time being an unhelpful captain obvious. thats on you

my desire to ban people so they can no longer waste their time and others is zero, so I wont be starting that forum, thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other possible options for removing paint from plastic chrome are

Paint thinner gel- probably because it isnt liquid so it only removes the layer you spread it on

sandblast with crushed walnuts- carefully is the key here , thought the person said it worked fine ,seems like an easy way to scuff the finish of the chrome, though maybe you want that satin look.

Cuastic soda- lye? in water, removes paint without damaging plastic , not sure abut its effect on chrome

hope this is helpful to anyone else who ever searches for this on here

·
2,811 Posts
You could try Simple Green. Be sure to rinse afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts