Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 oil leak now with pictures

I have a 2003 CRV 2 wheel drive. It runs great, has power and no running issues except for oil leak. When I first got it I don't think I had any leaks. I changed oil in it the first time and over that time I had to add about a quart. It had oil around the filter,frame and that area. I am thinking the filter leaked. Today I changed oil and went up the road about a mile and back and it was leaking again. not a lot but enough to be noticed. I got under the car and noticed the filter had oil on it fairly good. I did notice today that when I put the filter on the filter threads did not seem tight until it got to the seal. I only hand tightened it but it seems to be tight. I did notice the other filter I got the first time was a purolator gold and this one is a white purolator filter. I plan to get a filter grip so I can tighten it but I am afraid I will strip it. Has anyone had this issue and has anyone had trouble with the purolator brand? Also if it is not the filter what else could be leaking? The rest of the engine , the top,front and on drive side seems to not have oil on it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
280 Posts
There may be an extra gasket in there. If during one of the changes, an old gasket go stuck there, there is no way to get a good seal and will leak. There is no way to check this other than taking the new filter off, may also mean draining the oil again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Most cars should have the filter up high enough that it can be removed without draining the oil. You will just loose whatever spills from inside the filter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked for anything in that area.I even put my digital camera up there and took a few photos to see if I could see anything. tthe base where the filter seals was clean and no stuck gasket.I checked a while ago and it has some oil on the frame and maybe a cap full or two on a piece of cardboard I put down. I usually change the oil every 2 months so in October I will try a different brand. If I can figure out what kind was in it when I got it I may get one of them and change just the filter this week. I am going to watch it closely and check the level each day. I am thinking if it seems to do fine and I only have to put a quart of oil in between oil changes to watch it until December. In December I get off a couple of weeks and I may put it in the shop. Due to the miles I drive I usually buy older low mileage cars and change every 3 or 4 years. But I really like this car, Its been a long time since I have liked one this good. If I can solve this issue it will be great.

·
Registered
772 Posts
These oil filters are a real problem to change, but I've found I can reach it by standing on the driver side, I can reach it on the back side of the engine. If I had this problem like you do, no way would I wait till next oil change time to correct it. This is serious and could cost you an engine if it continiues.
Find this oil filter............DENSO 150-1009 , it has the best seal I have seen as well as having a CHECK VALVE built in the filter. Don't ignore this, JMHO and good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you check the passenger side of the engine? It is common on CRV's for the timing chain inspection cover to leak and migrate all below and back of the engine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you check the passenger side of the engine? It is common on CRV's for the timing chain inspection cover to leak and migrate all below and back of the engine. Check your oil pressure sensor as well (above the filter).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to get that Denso filter today. I plan on going out to get a new filter today. I will check the oil level each time I stop today, I have to make a few stops. I know it won't be accurate but I can keep an eye on it. I do think it is the filter. It didn't start leaking until I changed it the first time and this second oil change was the same brand. I did check to see about oil leaking around the passinger side and it seems fairly clean. After driving it yesterday it seems to be the filter.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Who installed the filter? What brand of filter did they use? Let us know. I have seen many filter leak because they use cheap material as the gasket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the filter. I am not a professional mechanic but I have been doing my own work for over 30 years. The pilters are purolator brand. I got the gold one last time and the white one this time. The filter seens too loose going on. But it snugs up. I plan to change it today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may have been the gasket. I went out to the store for a new filter. I checked under the hood then and there was no oil on the filter,only oil stains. I checked under it when I got back to the car and no oil. My wife wanted to go out today and we went on to some stores. I checked it every time we stopped. The one place it had oil was the place we went the farthest to, about 35 miles. We stayed at that place for an hour or two and there was just a little oil. All together we drove about 150 miles round trip with no issues. One thing that caught me off guard was the new oil yesterday but I have a theory on that. I was able to wipe off the oil in areas I could get. I am wondering if the oil that has been coming down is oil that had leaked from the first filter and has not run down. Then yesterday it leaked down some. And the heat of the engine got it to flowing. But very little has fallen today. Last time I checked it the oil was full. I plan to check it tonight or tomorrow morning. I also plan to look at it each day I drive to see if I can tell if any oil drips. Thanks for all the replies. If I don't post again its fixed. If I think about it in a week or so I will repost an update in case someone has the issue after me so they will know it could be just the gasket. If it doesn't leak anymore I may wait until next oil change to change this filter. If it is fine there is no reason to change it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update,
This thing still leaks. I am beginning to think it is not the filter. Yesterday It leaked after a while and the oil dripped towards the back of the engine. I do think it is in the back. On the driver side there is no oil from a leak. Then on the pasinger side there doesn't seem to be any new oil. There also doesn't seem to be any oil on the belt. The filter seems to be dry as well. There was a round hole close to the filter that looks to have a bolt in it or at least it looks to. I don't know what this is. I did clean it out and it doesn't look to have any new oil.

Whatever it is that is loosing oil seems to be following the engine side then dripping on the frame then the ground. I work about an hour away from home. With all the driving over the weekend and then to work I may have lost 1/8 of a inch on the dipstick, the miles I drove may have been 200 to 300 altogether. I am wondering in the back of the engine what could be leaking? I read of a oil pressure switch close to the oil filter being bad to leak. Has anyone had this and if so did it leak down the back only to the frame? Are these hard to replace? Do you go in from the top or bottom to replace them?

I didn't think to post this but I had work on it a few months back. I had issues with the spark plug coil packs the mechanic called them. I had him to replace all 4 as I had engine trouble with them twice. Could replacing these cause an oil leak issue?

I like this car but if it keeps this up I may have to find another one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to get under the car and take pictures. Here is what I took. I found out the boot on the oil pressure sensor was pulled up and not covering it. The sensor looks like it has oil dripping but I don't know if that is from it or from somewhere else. I am wondering if it is the oil sensor. The other photos of the front of the engine does have some oil stains but it stays fairly clean compared to the oil sensor area and the frame. My mechanic said to replace the timing chain as he said they needed to be replaced over 100k .If I get him to replace this would the crank seal be in the same area to get both. So from these photos can anyone tell anything about it?

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unlike a timing belt, there should be no need to replace the timing chain. With regular oil changes, the timing chain should last the life of the engine.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,711 Posts
I've had oil sensors "leak through" as yours seems to be doing. That would be my first guess.

You also need to verify that the PCV valve isn't stuck. A stuck PCV creates pressure in the crankcase. Remove it, it should rattle when shaken. If not, clean it or replace.

++++++++++++++++++++

(The 100K timing chain replacement is from when older American engines didn't have timing chain tensioner systems. No need to do that on the V...if the chain stretches, the crank and cam sensors will be out of sync and a CEL will appear.)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I suggest you get a can of Brake Clean and spray all the areas pictured with it to remove any oil. Then keep an eye out for where the oil first appears again. Looks to me like your pressure sensor has a leak when under pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it fixed! I was going to check it out this weekend but I got under the weather with my blood pressure so while I was getting over that I dropped it off to the fellow who does my repairs I don't want to try to do. It was the Vtec gasket had went bad due to age. He got it fixed today and I am riding in with my wife as she goe in to work and I am going to pick it up. So if anyone is searching for something similar it could be the Vtec solenoid gasket. They are know to go bad with age.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Got it fixed! I was going to check it out this weekend but I got under the weather with my blood pressure so while I was getting over that I dropped it off to the fellow who does my repairs I don't want to try to do. It was the Vtec gasket had went bad due to age. He got it fixed today and I am riding in with my wife as she goe in to work and I am going to pick it up. So if anyone is searching for something similar it could be the Vtec solenoid gasket. They are know to go bad with age.
Thanks for letting us know the fix. All types of rubber will deteriorate with time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts