Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CRV AWD. I've had what seems to be a knocking or rattle that come from somewhere in the rear of the car when driving under load. As soon as the road levels out, the noise goes away. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying. I changed the rear differential damper, and changed the fluid in the differential, but that didn't help at all. The only other videos I saw on Youtube talked about the sway bar bushings and links which both seem to be ok.

This noise has been occurring for over a year, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I would still like to fix it as soon as possible.

One mechanic thought it might be the differential itself, but that is a pretty expensive thing to replace unless I'm sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 CRV AWD. I've had what seems to be a knocking or rattle that come from somewhere in the rear of the car when driving under load. As soon as the road levels out, the noise goes away. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying. I changed the rear differential damper, and changed the fluid in the differential, but that didn't help at all. The only other videos I saw on Youtube talked about the sway bar bushings and links which both seem to be ok.

This noise has been occurring for over a year, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I would still like to fix it as soon as possible.

One mechanic thought it might be the differential itself, but that is a pretty expensive thing to replace unless I'm sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you checked the condition of the two mounts?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
8,189 Posts
It's almost impossible to visually or mechanically determine if sway bar links cause a knock. It's best just to replace them.

That said,

When you say "under load" do you mean a load in cargo (eg, rear-seat passengers or equipment in the cargo area), or do you mean "under load of acceleration"?

Recently a friend's Element was making noises from the rear, he replaced rear sway bar links and struts. Turned out he had a broken exhaust hangar, and the muffler heat shield was bent down. (His kid must have run over something...) In this case, a FRONT sway link was broken (completely separated) too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's almost impossible to visually or mechanically determine if sway bar links cause a knock. It's best just to replace them.

That said,

When you say "under load" do you mean a load in cargo (eg, rear-seat passengers or equipment in the cargo area), or do you mean "under load of acceleration"?

Recently a friend's Element was making noises from the rear, he replaced rear sway bar links and struts. Turned out he had a broken exhaust hangar, and the muffler heat shield was bent down. (His kid must have run over something...) In this case, a FRONT sway link was broken (completely separated) too!
You certainly can check them for a knock. Check out Eric the car guy he has a youtube on this for a Honda Element basically the same as the CRV

I'd post the link but they won't let me till I post a few more times.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sounds like the sway bar bushings might be worth a look--they make a sound like a dull, loud knock underneath the chassis. A visual inspection will not work--take your palm and smack it into the stabilizer bar on both ends. If you hear a knocking, that means the bushings have hardened and enlarged slightly, just enough to make some annoying noises. I fixed the fronts in my '97, but the rear I haven't bothered with yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. Well.....I replaced the sway bar bushings and the noise is still there, no difference. With two people in the car, and the transmission in 4th gear, I hear the noise when climbing a hill. While the car is under this load, and as long as the transmission is still in a higher gear, the knocking noise starts. As soon as the transmission shifts into a lower gear, the noise seems to go away.

Please let me know if anyone knows what could be another cause. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Road Slug for the info on the Damper. That was actually the first thing I replaced because it was shot. But, unfortunately that didn't fix the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts