Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC SE Sport Auto4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums and have not found anything on this issue yet. So I thought I had better just ask the question.

Both my ex-inlaws and I have 2nd gen CR-Vs with the three-button remote. We both find that on unlocking the car, then opening a door or the tailgate, the car will lock all the doors again for no reason at all.

As someone with MS, ASD and ADHD - blessing me with a generally forgetful and haphazard brain - I am worried I am going to put the keys down in the boot and lock myself out of the car one day.

We can't be the only owners experiencing this and I'd love to know if there's a simple fix? Automatic locking de-activation even?

Thanks in advance,

Catie

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,182 Posts
The doors WILL lock again if the car doesn't recognize that a door is opened after a period if time. (15 - 30 seconds?) Doesn't sound as if that is working. :cautious: Do the interior lights work on ANY door?

Could you 'wear' the keys on a wristband?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply @Carbuff2 which is very helpful.

The doors WILL lock again if the car doesn't recognize that a door is opened after a period if time. (15 - 30 seconds?) Doesn't sound as if that is working. :cautious: Do the interior lights work on ANY door?
I haven't checked through the car yet as I only acquired it recently. I will pop out and check the interior lights activate on opening each door!

I will make sure the roof lamp is activated too of course. :)

Could you 'wear' the keys on a wristband?
I normally have all my keys on a lanyard with my house keys but I do like the idea of the wristband or some sort of coily tether. :)

Catie

OK ... so here are my findings this evening. :)

Main Cabin Lamps
2 spotlights work fine but nothing from the main interior lamp in that cluster. A dead bulb I presume?

Rear Passenger Lamp
Was turned off, ON works fine and then set it to the middle position which lit the lamp when the rear doors were opened. At this stage, the locks did not activate. So maybe we're getting there!

Luggage Compartment Lamp
Was also turned off, ON worked fine and then set it to the middle position, the lamp lit again but refused to turn off once all the doors were closed and the vehicle locked. I checked the glass window and that was closed so I'm not sure what has happened back there. Any ideas? Knackered switch on the tailgate perhaps?

Thanks again!

Catie

·
Registered
2003 CRV EX Auto 300,000km still rollin'
368 Posts
Tailgate switches are notorious for going bad. Need the contacts cleaning up etc. I've got some tape wrapped around mine to pack it out a bit, for some reason I forget. I think it was flickering because my tailgate isn't a very good fit, many aren't.

The doors auto lock after about 30 seconds. Bizarrely the tailgate doesn't register as a door opening. So if you unlock, then open the tailgate, the rest of the doors will lock again after 30 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bulb type should be in your owners manual...
I looked at the table in the Owner's Manual and it helpfully says 12V/8W but gives no size information. I'll yank the old one out tomorrow and measure it. ;-)

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing with 'Rowena'. I've spent some time researching Dash Cams this weekend too as I want to capture the next person who drives into my car. A nice lady pull straight out into the side of my Mitsubishi and wrote it off back in November!

Catie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.