Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.
I am based in UK and have a 2003 SE Auto with 110,000 miles and have owned for 2 years.
To date from a cold start, the engine revs to about 1500 and after a few mins drops to 800-1000 - normal behavior.
A few days ago the engine started but revs immediately dropped to Zero. On restarting, applying a bit of throttle keeps the engine running OK but take foot off throttle it drops to zero and stops. Keeping it running until warm it will eventually idle - but only just -say 500.
The engine management light is not showing an error.
My initial thoughts were the idle air control valve being faulty - perhaps closed or blocked - and so not letting any air into engine at all when throttle closed.
However reading other threads, problems with this valve seem to be more associated with high idle and surging revs.
I have removed the valve and will replace anyway as tricky to test and they appear to be a known weakness. However I wondered if anyone had any similar experience and found it to be something other than this valve.
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
895 Posts
Does the check engine light come on? May want to check the Throttle Position sensor as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions. I'm fairly sure valves OK as did those a few months ago (unless somethings gone horribly wrong all of a sudden!). The engine light is not on. I'll check TPS.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
Start with cleaning the throttle body. Don't just spray stuff in there, soak a piece of lint-free towel with intake cleaner, and wipe the TB out.

There have been documented issues with the TPS on early Gen2s.

Honda will want to sell you a new throttle body complete, but there are aftermarket TPS sensors available. You need to drill out mounting rivets and adjust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. I removed the throttle body and IAVC and cleaned both. To test I reassembled (linking the coolant pipes together with a hose joiner to avoid having to reconnect). The idle is back to normal. I suspect the culprit was a sticky IAVC as it needed a good clean. I will be leaving the coolant pipes linked as I am in UK freezing unlikely. Hope this helps others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts