Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

this is sequel to this:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/192081-2004-2-0-petrol-cr-v-stalled-now-starts-poorly.html

I just got engine back together, after timing chain tensioner broke, then i discovered i needed new exhaust valves and then new exhaust camshaft. But that is all fine now, now only idling does not work.

In cold start the car works fine, it idles at little over 1500rpm and then starts to slow down gradually. But after 3-5 minutes the idle starts to go up again. When it reaches about 2000rpm it starts going up and down, between 1000-3000, probably ECU starts cutting of fuel.

I can drive the car just fine, sometimes it gives engine braking when i lift off accelerator, sometimes not. Cooling system should be ok now, temperature gauge values are fine and i drove on area with steep hills to make sure there is no air in system. Tachometer also works fine. There are no fault codes. And plugging the "idle air assist valve" hose into the manifold does not help. Throttle valve or cable are not stuck, something else keeps the revs up. I cannot find any vacuum leaks

I am thinking maybe the idle actuator got stuck somehow during engine repair. It worked fine 8 weeks ago. Hopefully not a wiring issue.

I will take intake manifold / throttle valve out again for examination. Is there any hints for servicing the actuator?

·
Administrator
3,347 Posts
Clean IAC could be helpful. I don't recall if that year is drive by wire or has a traditional throttle cable. If the latter, you might want to remove/lubricate or replace the cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, forgot to mention that it has old style cable operated butterfly valve. But accelerator cable is not the problem, it was loose and valve was in contact with stopping screw.

So it must be idle control valve. Or something with it´s control system.

I have the valve now on the table. I could not get the electric motor off the casing, but got the casing of the valvebody. Broke 2 screwdrivers trying to remove those 2 screws. And the gasket got damage, but casing did not take damage. I have seen secondhand parts that have 1 screw hole broken off. I was sure the screw would snap, but had luck this time.

The cylinder moves, so it is not completely stuck, but i cannot tell if electrics work on this item. I connected it to car and turned ignition on, but it did not move, it remains half open.

Maybe i have to block the openings for it and install the intake manifold in car without it and start the car with idle control valve loose on connector, to see if it actually moves with engine running. Or just take a chance, clean it with carburattor cleaner and install back and try again.

EDIT: my wife cleaned the valve, and now it mooves better. It is really loose, you can feel the springload it has much better than before. I mean, it mooved smoothly before, but was not "free" like now. And i assume because of springy feel that it is not motor operated but more of a solenoid type, constantly going open and close?

I put it back in manifold with some silicon glue because of broken seal. Tomorrow i will install it and we will se if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy Honda, it works!

IAC is the idle actuator? yes it was propably just a little too sticky. I asked what she cleaned it with. Cotton swab and spit. Of course.

Biggest difficulty was removing it. One screw threads are "blind", so they open, but the other one goes through the valvebody and are exposed, so that one gets stuck.

After removing the first one, i could swing the IAC a little around the last screw and use penetrating oil. Finally that helped, but it broke the rubber seal. Maybe first you should not remove it, but just spray carburattor cleaner in openings next to butterfly valve and drain it out.

Now i got new problem. Turn signal lights tick like crazy, but all bulbs are good and earth also. Maybe moisture in towing hitch electric socket. Not a major issue.

And sorry about my english, it is learned from television.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The IAC valves are controlled by a stepper motor. The valve has a spring on it to keep it in place. Your English is pretty good for learning from television. Better than a lot of people that I know that only speak English.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts