Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C was repaired a couple years ago. Not sure what was done as Father-in-law didn't keep receipts. I know it was about $1,000 when he did it.

Since he gave it to my son we now get to work and diagnose any issues. Sunday 90+ degrees the A/C stopped blowing cold when sitting at idle (waiting for kids at sports). I started diagnosing and found the A/C condenser fan not spinning so figured lack of airflow/over heating. I replaced the fan after metering through and had power to fan but crazy high resistance from motor on fan. Fan works well now. A/C is still turning off when sitting at idle for a couple minutes. As soon as you start moving it gets cold again.

The condenser is a bit beat up as most are (230,000 miles). I need to try to spray it and wash from behind to flush some bugs etc. The space between condenser and radiator is clear no debris. My thought is that the fans and air flow are pulling least resistance from open area around/between the 2 and not through condenser. I know 1-2 of my other cars had like a/c foam that rested by the radiator tank basically making fans have to pull through condenser first. Is the CRV supposed to have something like this?

Obviously new condenser with clear flow might make that easier but trying to limit the $$. Thought about having a/c serviced also to double check pressures etc. A/c seems to work well as long as you are moving even idle speed down the street gets it cold right away.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The A/C was repaired a couple years ago. Not sure what was done as Father-in-law didn't keep receipts. I know it was about $1,000 when he did it.

Since he gave it to my son we now get to work and diagnose any issues. Sunday 90+ degrees the A/C stopped blowing cold when sitting at idle (waiting for kids at sports). I started diagnosing and found the A/C condenser fan not spinning so figured lack of airflow/over heating. I replaced the fan after metering through and had power to fan but crazy high resistance from motor on fan. Fan works well now. A/C is still turning off when sitting at idle for a couple minutes. As soon as you start moving it gets cold again.

The condenser is a bit beat up as most are (230,000 miles). I need to try to spray it and wash from behind to flush some bugs etc. The space between condenser and radiator is clear no debris. My thought is that the fans and air flow are pulling least resistance from open area around/between the 2 and not through condenser. I know 1-2 of my other cars had like a/c foam that rested by the radiator tank basically making fans have to pull through condenser first. Is the CRV supposed to have something like this?

Obviously new condenser with clear flow might make that easier but trying to limit the $$. Thought about having a/c serviced also to double check pressures etc. A/c seems to work well as long as you are moving even idle speed down the street gets it cold right away.
Just before my Ac Condenser needed replacing it started behaving like yours. Mine failed around 280,000 miles.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Take a small screw driver and lightly drag over a couple of the fins on the condenser. I have seen them just be rotted and would look ok, but if you pushed on the fins with your finger or something they would just fall to pieces. Had to replace one on my sisters 08 civic last year because of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts