Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake lights are on whenever my head-lights etc. are on. Also cruise control will not work if lights are on.

Also my dash light for by gauges comes on whenever I depress the brake pedal and goes of when I release it. This happens regardless of the ignition key position and whether or not the car is running.

With the brake pedal depressed and the driver's door open I get a continuous beep. Car not running and ignition off.

The brake switch is not mechanically stuck down and retracts all the way to the stop when released.

I do not have a trailer hitch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
It sounds like a grounding problem and that can cause feedback in the electrical circuit.
IOWs, when the brakes lights go on, they don't have their regular route to ground, so they go through the grounds, or resistance, of other electrical items.
Since the brake lights are not controlled by the ignition switch position, I would check the two main grounding points.
The neg bat terminal grounding connection to the frame.
The frame (near the radiator) ground to the engine ( I believe it is the same wire that is used to connect the jumper cable (-) when jumping the battery.
Hopefully someone who has experienced it, or knows more, will post soon. :)

Buffalo4

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004: Brake lights are on whenever my lights are on.Reply to Thread Reply to Thread

Thank you Buffalo for your thoughts.

I already had cleaned up the ground from the negative battery terminal to the frame. There was another ground wire from the negative terminal which looked like it might connect to the starter.? Not sure. Anyway, I couldn't get to the other end of that one.

Also, there are two switches which are operated by the brake pedal. The one on the floor I assume is the brake switch and activates the brake lights. I thought that maybe this one was stuck down, but alas, not. The other one is attached to a brace under the dash and appears that the brake pedal arm turns this one off when the pedal is depressed. Maybe this one turns off the cruise control. ?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Was anything done before this happened? I would start at the rear brake light bulbs. Take out the left 1st then test it to see if the brake lights come on even when you do not depress on the brake pedal. Then do the right side then do the test.From your description it looks like the filaments in one the brake light bulb is shorting to the brake lights or vice versa. Let us know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check you bulbs for sure. I had this happen years ago in a civic and I had the same problem with the lights coming on when you hit the brakes. My taillight bulb, an 1157, had the one filament break, and when it did it fell on the second filament perfectly. This caused a circuit when either the brakes or the lights where on. Weirdest thing ever. I couldn't believe that that would ever happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Now that actually makes sense. :D
It backfeeds through (or actually energizes) the taillight circuit or similar when the brake lights get power. Neat. That would also energize the brake light circuit when the tail lights get turned on.
How that affects the cruise control, I have no idea.
So, check those brake light bulbs. :eek:
Also the brake light switch by the brake pedal does have two sets of contacts (N/C and N/O). When you press on the brake, the contacts for the cruise control open and shuts it off and the contacts for the brake lights close, which turns on the brake lights.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
Also, make sure the proper bulbs are installed.

ISTR that the bulbs are different if you have a UK or Japan-sourced CR-V.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your helpful comments! I will definitely check/replace the brake light bulbs. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out that one of my brake/tail light bulbs has only one filament. And I haven't had any work done back there although I did buy the car used. I'll get a new bulb tomorrow. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Although it's kind of mysterious that I seemed to have a tail and a brake light on that side. (?) Also, with both brake/tail light bulbs removed I'm no longer having my dash lights come on when I step on the brake pedal. Good sign I think! So when I install the new bulb tomorrow and it's all fixed I will post to let ya'll know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I sure hope so! I'll let you know tomorrow for sure! Thanks again!

I am really impressed with this forum! When I first posted, I figured it was just a shot in the dark. Wow, how wrong that was! It's really good to know all you guys are around to help people with crazy problems! Pretty awesome! At first I had asked my mechanic to figure it out but when they scheduled 3 hours I figured that I'd try myself first. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and have done a lot of work on my cars over the years. But car electrics was never my strong suit. And these days with all the computers and what-not I mostly let my mechanic fix stuff. And the reason that I buy Hondas is because they don't need much other than regular maintenance. And I think that it's good to have a mechanic see it for that so that when something serious happens to go wrong, at least they know the vehicle and therefore will probably have a head start. It looks like now with the great helpers on the forum that I might be able to do more myself than I ever thought possible! Thanks again! You guys are great!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thank you for the nice words! We always try to help each other especially the new comers. This forum is what helping & sharing ideas with one another to benefit everyone. Electrical problems are one of the hardest to solve. Let us know how it turned out. Especially DC systems are more tricky than AC systems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys! Yep that light-bulb was the problem. My car is perfect once more! I don't know if I ever would have questioned that bulb (which did kind of work) without your help! I also replaced a burned out side marker bulb while I was in there. So for $11 at NAPA for four bulbs, and I'm all set!
So thank you all so much again! I really appreciate your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts