Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 cr-v 192,000 kms
I have recently installed a new battery. I installed new spark plugs in the fall of 2015. The engine started well at -27 degrees C.The block heater was not plugged in so last Sunday when the temperature dropped rapidly from -4 C to -17 C. I thought it would start just fine. Nope it cranks fast enough and only occasionally fires. I put a bottle of injector friendly gas line deicer in the tank but if that is the problem I've no idea how long it may take to work through the system. This being Wednesday evening I am recharging the battery for the second time. I'm going to try some ether quick start sprayed into the breather Thursday evening. The block heater has been keeping the oil warm for the last three days to spare the battery a bit. It's been too cold to work on checking the fuel pressure or power to the plugs. It may get warm enough to do that this coming Saturday. I still love my CR-V because it needed some serious TLC after I bought it too nurse it back to health. The previous owners just changed the oil and drove it into the ground. Shameful!
Any previous experience will be greatly appreciated so we can get back to exploring winter in Northern Canada.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If it cranks well and doesn't start, remove one spark plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If it is dry, that cylinder isn't getting fuel (frozen gas line or bad pump or bad pump relay).
If it is wet, than that spark plug is not firing.
Just some easy basic stuff to check.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
184 Posts
A couple of long shots...but you may want to check the Crank position sensor or equivalent...the PCM may not know when to fire the spark plugs.

Also, try this...press the accelerator pedal all the way down to the floor...and then try to start...if it starts, quick release the pedal.

good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LUCK! Luck doesn't exist. I just needed to follow sound advice.
Success! Just 5 attempts at ether spray and cranking and the dry gas was up to the combustion chamber. I though it would take a lot longer than that! It snowed all day yesterday and all night giving us about ten inches of nice cold dry powder snow. I think you can guess where I'm going now. Yup out to play in the snow with the 04 CR-V! I had also asked Eric because there is truth and safety in the council of multiple advisers.
Thank you to all concerned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just needed to follow sound advice.
Success! Just 5 attempts at ether spray and cranking and the dry gas was up to the combustion chamber. I though it would take a lot longer than that! It snowed all day yesterday and all night giving us about ten inches of nice cold dry powder snow. I think you can guess where I'm going now. Yup out to play in the snow with the 04 CR-V! I had also asked Eric because there is truth and safety in the council of multiple advisers.
Thank you Bufalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
It must really be cold where you live for it to freeze the little water that is in your gas.
Good luck and have fun in the snow today!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Buffalo4. In my experience of 10,000 kilometers a month as a taxi driver in a city of 160,000, the only CR-V that I have ever seen well and truly stuck was 3 feet off the ground up on top of a snow bank, all four wheels dangling! He had driven it up there by mistake in a white out!
But you are quite correct about it not being a snowmobile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is now april of 2016.
A long shot in your mind Wifev but perhaps dead on according to the Scan Tool output!

This vehicle is a little bird with a broken wing that I am continuing to nurse back to health.

The temperature has been gradually getting warmer from -20*s C up to +7*C over the last two months and the car has been starting without the need for block mounted oil heater running over night.

Recently while driving at around 90 Klms/ 55 miles per hour the engine began to stutter as if the fuel was being abruptly turned off and immediately back on again repeatedly. I immediately slowed down and parked on the shoulder and kept the engine running. I set off and it happened a few more times during the half hour trip home.

I drove back and forth from work for the next week without incident. However I wasn't ever much over 60 Klms/hour so I took it out onto the highway at 90Klms/55miles/hour to try to duplicate the conditions and sure enough the stutter returned. Lately we have had rain for a few days and warm spring temperatures of up to 7*C.

Last night it dropped quickly to -15*C./ about 10*F. This morning I am back to the situation described in COLD WEATHER NO START but with new info from my scanner which I will attach as a PDF file.

The Freeze Frame data for code P0365 reports that the engine coolant is at -40*F and the intake air temp is -40* F when the ambient temp. was only 12*F this morning at 9:00AM.!
Since I am a self confessed newbie DIYer, is this issue quite beyond my limited knowledge and experience and therefore should be left to a proper tech or is this something I can actually tackle myself.?
I fully appreciate that it is the weekend so I patiently await anyone's kind consideration as you have time.
The Northerner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would fire with ether sprayed into the throttle body but not run.
I have let the car sit with the intake snorkel off and the throttle body butterfly wide open to air out the engine since I could smell a strong fuel odor.
At 3:30 the engine started at an ambient temperature of -9*C / +16*F .

Initially at no start condition the Scanner reported P0365, P0340 MIL codes & one pending P1457 evap sys code.

After starting and warm up I now have an additional pending code P0171.
I am not sure how to attach the Scan Tool PDF files with Freeze Frame data if it is even possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the car has run fine now with no codes but the long standing P1457 evap code.

I seem to be chasing a ghost or a Gremlin!
northerndean.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If it floods out again, a quicker way to get it started is to disable the fuel pump by removing the proper fuse.
On an '03, it is fuse #17 (15A) in the interior fuse box.

Then just crank it with a wide open throttle. After it starts, shut it down and put the fuse back in.
That is the band-aid approach.
Then keep working on the problem itself, perhaps it is just an engine temp sensor.
See if the OBD reader is still showing temps that are way off.
There are some good vids on youtube for the P1457 code.
Also, read the posts 19 and 20 in: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/60177-p1457-2002-crv-165k-miles-2.html
Buffalo4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
April 10th and it snowed again today up here!
I'm just waiting for warmer weather to get underneath and look for a possible Intermittent ground short. The crank sensor is coated over with oil an fine sand.
It's a used vehicle new to me.There are going to be some mysterys.
I only put 6000 Klms on it this year HaHa!

Have you ever heard of the iVETC solenoids getting gummed up and sticking due to too long an interval between oil changes?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
The P0365 is a camshaft sensor (on top).

Since the car fires (but won't run) with starting fluid, I'd be tempted to throw one in.

If the ECU cannot sense that the engine is turning (due to a bad sensor OR WIRING) it will shut off the fuel supply. (This prevents fires)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts