Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just purchased a used 2004 CR-V LX 4WD 5MT. 100,000 miles. The vehicle is surging/jumping upon acceleration. It doesn't do it all the time. The techs at Proctor Honda have replaced the master cylinder and clutch because the clutch pedal was hard to push and was creaking. They then replaced the clutch. I replaced the spark plugs and air filter. This has not alleviated the surging problem especially when I accelerate out into traffic. It jumps and hesitates. Sometimes it is very pronounced and other times it is not that bad but it is very aggravating and the techs say they cannot replicate it. I am at my wits end because I just bought it and it has been at the dealer's shop for 3 weeks out of the 4 I have owned it. Suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
>>Suggestions would be much appreciated.<<

Time to ditch the lame dealer and find a good independent that specializes in Honda. You ought to post you location to see if anyone lives near you and has a recommendation for your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>Suggestions would be much appreciated.<<

Time to ditch the lame dealer and find a good independent that specializes in Honda. You ought to post you location to see if anyone lives near you and has a recommendation for your area.

Hi,
They have now replaced the O2 sensor and the problem seems to be cleared up mostly but there is still a little jerk upon hard acceleration once in a while after the car warms up. I live near Tallahassee Florida. Could it be the rev limiter in the computer acting up?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I am using this dealer is I just bought the vehicle from them and they are responsible for making it right. I do not have the money to take it to someone else right now.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Sounds like it is smart to stay with that dealer to fix your problem.
Ash them to consider checking the catalytic converter and the timing chain.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Buffalo4, shouldn't they also let the computer remap itself by disconnecting the battery and doing the idle re-learn?
I thought that was supposed to be done whenever the 02 sensor was replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it is smart to stay with that dealer to fix your problem.
Ash them to consider checking the catalytic converter and the timing chain.
Buffalo4

Hi and thanks for your reply. It seems to be running pretty good now. I will drive it some more to see if there are any more problems. I bought the car 'as is' no warranty but they are still fixing things for me at no charge. I unhooked the battery and let it sit for a while then hooked it back up. That helped a lot it seems. I like this model year better than the newer ones because it has personality and style. The idle is acting strange now (like revving up sometimes and then slowing back down when I stop). This may be normal but it wasn't doing that before..

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
As 20CRVEX13 mentioned, doing the idle learn procedure can help the computer get the idle straightened out sooner. You can look it up pretty quickly.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well! All is not good. I took a ride in it this am and when i got back i noticed the malfunction light is on and won't go off. I turned the gas cap some more but i always turn it at least 3 turns. the light did not go out. I unhooked the battery for 15 minutes to let the computer reset itself. The malfunction light is off but the error codes have not had enough time to reset themselves. I guess i should have left the battery alone but i am so sick of this lemon!!! I am calling the dealer again in the morning. It has only been 3 days since i got it back with the assurance that it is fixed once again. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when disconnecting the battery does the computer lose the fault codes stored previously? would the dealer be able to see what happened?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will erase the cel fault codes. It may take a while for them to come back.
If a loose gas cap triggered the code, it takes a day or two for it to go out, I believe.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level? I recently replaced my water pump and refilled the rad. It started surging like yours and this site informed me of a possible air pocket in the cooling system. If the temp coolant sensor isn't bathed in fluid it will send wrong signals to the computer and will cause surging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts