Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2004 CRV, 2WD. Some months ago, my check engine light came on, when I ran the codes, it came back with the code for catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, or emissions system. I also got one for the knock sensor.

I replaced the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensors, but the light has come back on. My inspection is due this month and I live off of a pretty limited income, so it would be great to find out what the problem is without having to pay someone to look at it. Someone at AutoZone said it could even be a problem with the engine causing it to fail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be or what might cause my catalytic converter to fail again?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Could be non-OEM O2 sensor were installed. Denso O2 sensors seem to work well, while Bosch O2 sensors seem to have problems on the Odys.
A catalytic converter can be tested with a fairly cheap infrared thermometer to see if it is bad.
Google something like "how to test a catalytic converter" for more info.
If the engine is running too rich or burns a lot of oil, the cat converter can be destroyed.

Please post the codes. If you forgot them, go to AutoZone and have them read again.

Did you do the work yourself?
How did you determine that the cat and O2 sensors were bad?
Also, how many miles are on your 04?

Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There isn't a code for a bad catalytic converter, you could get a code for the after cat 02 sensor reading which may or may not be a bad cat, bad 02 sensor, or an exhaust leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts