Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any common problems in this area? Car has 135k problem free miles. One day my son is driving it and when he turns it to the start position, it does absolutely nothing. Lights, bells, whistles etc working normally. Just doesn’t turn over to start the car. Replaced starter and solenoid, ignition switch, and starter relay. None of which were fun, and it still sometimes does nothing. Eventually after a random number of attempts, it will finally start. Then when it feels like it, the cycle repeats. Any tips? This used to be a rock solid reliable vehicle. Now you just never know when it will just randomly not turn over.

·
Registered
548 Posts
First off word of advise as others would mentioned:
1. Never go replacing parts if you don't have a diagnosis of what is the issue or cause.
2. Did you get any CEL or scanner to tell the issue when "ON" to get the error?
3. When it first happened what was it doing when he turned it to start?
a. any clicks or crackle?
b. did anyone look at the engine before replacing parts?

Now no one here can figure what was the cause and effect since parts were randomly changed because the original issue was never first figure out.

Also I read that sometimes inside the fuse box there is a fuser that will go out and that requires disassembly of the Main fuse box to replace the bridge but this is assuming a diagnosis was done to identify where the problem was isolated at. But in this case the Alt and Fuse Bridge and Battery would need to be both replaced to get the car to start and charging again.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,605 Posts
Random no crank no start, ....
First thing to do is to clean battery posts and cable terminals with metal brush.
Follow negative cable to chassis ground and clean contact points
For the most part this should take care of no crank, no start due to corrosion at the battery
If it continues then other steps may be necessary.
But first try this

I had this issue with my 2001 Elantra. Random no crank, no start.
After I cleaned up the corrosion, I also changed the ignition switch
since it it was cheap to do. Never had another issue with no crank no start.
Rust ate the bottom of the car and I junked it.
Could not sell it due to it was bother my conscience, not safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery terminals are clean. No codes. the problem first started when my son went to the store. He went in and came out and had a no crank condition. It definitely acts just like a bad ground would for sure.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,605 Posts
Quick check for bad engine ground, ....
Take test light or volt meter
Black probe to battery negative post (not cable terminal)
The red probe to engine block
Then crank engine.
If test light turns on then bad ground
Or, the volt meter read more than 1 volt then bad ground.

Note: Corrosion is not always visible.
If you have not cleaned the posts and terminals then please do so.

Note2: It is possible that the starter is failing.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CRV Sport
241 Posts
Are you getting any clicking noise? Any lights on the dash come on?
When it does not start. Have you tried boosting from another vehicle? If so does it start?

This might sound like the obvious (its happened to me). When you check the batter terminals. Check the connectors. They might look ok. But take them off the battery. It was only then I realised they had rusted out.

Edit: I forgot to ask. OP is it Automatic or Manual..?
Edit 2: Hell, I'l just throw it in anyway in case anyone else searches the forum.
Follow what I, Avistor and Storm Rockies has posted. Don't replace parts yet.
If the car is a manual. The clutch pedal has to be pressed all the way down for the car to start(British members, ignore this its a North America thing). There is a switch behind the clutch pedal. When the clutch presses this switch fully. The car will start. You may need to adjust this. This can be adjusted by hand. Its like a screw. You can twist it. I had the same issue. My CRV would intermittently start. The starter was replaced. The same issue persisted. It was not the starter. It was the switch behind the clutch pedal. It was not fully pressed in by the clutch pedal. Time and wear does this. It just needed to be adjusted to be closer to the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys time to revisit this! The problem has returned in full force. The relays are the only thing that clicks when you turn it to the start position. It does seem like a bad ground issue but when I run a test light from the positive terminal of the battery to the engine block, it does show the block as being ground. Relay under the dash clicks and the big relay under the hood fuse box clicks. What next? I cant even see the starter from up top. Will I be able to get to the wires for testing from underneath?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,605 Posts
Ok guys time to revisit this! The problem has returned in full force. The relays are the only thing that clicks when you turn it to the start position. It does seem like a bad ground issue but when I run a test light from the positive terminal of the battery to the engine block, it does show the block as being ground. Relay under the dash clicks and the big relay under the hood fuse box clicks. What next? I cant even see the starter from up top. Will I be able to get to the wires for testing from underneath?
Revisit, did you clean the battery posts and cable terminals
And follow negative cable to chassis ground and clean contact points?
Locate engine ground strap and clean contacts.
If cleaned then move gear selector thru gears and put in neutral
Try cranking engine. (key on, foot on brake to release gear selector?)

Do you know how to do a relay bypass test?
Good videos on you tube on how to do that.
Usually the larger blades are the load side. Smaller blades are usually control side.
Jumper on load side of starter cut relay should run the starter motor
Do not do anything to relay if you are unsure.

Note: Could still be the starter?
Check for powers (and engine is ground) at the starter motor.
12 volts at the solenoid. If supply and return is there then starter motor is suspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well…there was a lead off at the front of the starter. It appears to me the spade connector terminal was leaning to the side indicating it was not put on properly which resulted in it popping off. Put it back on correctly and it seems fine. My son said they had to replace that connector when they put the starter on so I believe that connector was the problem since the beginning of the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well…there was a lead off at the front of the starter. It appears to me the spade connector terminal was leaning to the side indicating it was not put on properly which resulted in it popping off. Put it back on correctly and it seems fine. My son said they had to replace that connector when they put the starter on so I believe that connector was the problem since the beginning of the whole ordeal.
If so you should go and complain to whom did it because if this wasn't the only one others probably had this happen as well. Good if this was it but that starter in in the worst possible place to check and remove. The only way I seen was removing manifold and TB to get to it and that was a work in itself. I might have to do that one day myself but seeing where it is - I am not a happy camper about this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was my son that did it while I was away. I saw a vid of someone changing out the starter on one from below. It was doable but the upper starter bolt looked like a real booger to get to. Pulling the intake and such off is ridiculous but not as bad as you’d think. Problem is with the things that get accidentally snapped off in the process. Little vacuum T for example attached to a $100 part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick check for bad engine ground, ....
Take test light or volt meter
Black probe to battery negative post (not cable terminal)
The red probe to engine block
Then crank engine.
If test light turns on then bad ground
Or, the volt meter read more than 1 volt then bad ground.

Note: Corrosion is not always visible.
If you have not cleaned the posts and terminals then please do so.

Note2: It is possible that the starter is failing.
SMART check !

·
Registered
102 Posts
i answer this question about once a fortnight. its the wire from the relay to the starter solenoid. It goes somewhere where it gets a temporary intermittent ground fault, which starts off as a just an issue when hot, after being driven, and progresses to a more peristent more regular no start condition. If you attach a multimiter to the battery and try to start it in this state , you will notice the voltage drops substantiallly, thats because the current to the starter solenoid is just shorting to body somewhere in that wire.
Solution is to run a new wire directly from the starter cut solenoid or starter solenoid, whichever yours has under the dash, straight to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT
1 Posts
I saw a vid of someone changing out the starter on one from below. It was doable but the upper starter bolt looked like a real booger to get to.
I did mine from below and I truly believe that removing the intake along with its other items would have been much harder. I removed the bolt holding the transmission filter bracket to give me a little more room to work. I also removed the knock sensor entirely. Everything went fairly smooth except when I backed out the upper bolt too far and then couldn't get my ratchet off the bolt.
In my case, the problem with the starter occasionally not working was caused by the brushes being worn down. I cleaned up the commutator and installed a new brush kit. I also cleaned and lubed the bearings. It worked like new afterwards all for about 30 bucks.
Automotive lighting Cylinder Gas Machine Nickel

Circuit component Gas Machine Gear Metal

Watch Analog watch Font Clock Measuring instrument

·
Registered
102 Posts
so CRVknot, you would have been getting a tick from the starter then yeh? it msut have been making some electronic / physical attempt to start for you.
Im amazed anyhone has the strnegth and patience to do that from under the car. i seriously take my hat off to you for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts