Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just bought herself a used automatic 2004 CRV, looks like it has been well taken care of, no dents/rust, etc for the year and mileage (400k!). However, when driving it home it did not shift into high gear at all; over 60 mph the RPMs just climb and it really doesn't get much faster. All other gears shifted smoothly. Fluids all look good.

Could it be a bad shift solenoid? Clogged filter? Any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,759 Posts
You can't just LOOK at the Honda fluids to determine if they are good.

Start by replacing the ATF with genuine Honda DW-1...if the shifting changes at all, replace it two more times to exchange 90% of the fluid.

The external solenoids on the transmission can be removed and cleaned. Make sure that the screens incorporated into the gaskets are clear.

There are no internal filters...some (later) Vs have an external ATF filter near the bottom of the radiator.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,479 Posts
IDK. So, only some ideas, ...
My shifter has a button on the side which makes the gears stop at D3
Could it be one of those things?
Or may be one of the shifting solenoids is not engaging?
Probably needs a good tranny mechanic to understand and tell you what is going on?

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
502 Posts
my old 2003 from what I can remember was close or at 3,000 RPM at 65 MPH ,if there is any slippage or no converter lockup it should be setting a check engine light

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do recall the solenoids are on the outside and changing them and testing them is pretty easy. Look at YT their is one person that did the change and testing that would help determine if it's really transx gear or the solenoid that is the problem. They did this when the trans shop told them they needed a trans when all it needed with changing the solenoid and that was all it needed. So look at YT about V's trans testing first.

Here's a google search that I lookup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you have overdrive on. It's that button on the top of the shifter (O/D). Hopefully it still doesn't have Honda's old Z-1 ATF fluid in it, since they stopped making that over a decade ago and the fluid should have been changed by then considering the mileage. While you drain it, check the drain bolt for excess metal debris that the magnet has picked up. A smaller amount is completely normal. A lot is not normal, and would indicate a problem. Is the D light flashing? That would indicate a problem like the bad shift solenoid; a professional scan tool should also be able to tell you the precise code and what faulted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts