Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to remove the door panel and I can see the lock/door handle assembly, but I cannot find a Youtube video or other info on removing the tumbler lock mechanism (I'm taking the lock to a locksmith to have it rebuilt). The door handle is fine - I just need to be able to remove the lock tumbler mechanism. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The tumbler must be removed from the inside. I replaced mine on my 15 yo 2002 CR-V with a new key tumbler combination for a low price of $21.95 (plus $15 in awl tool set).

Steps are:
1. leave window in up position.
1b. Remove the door panel. Take picture of entire wiring harness layout noting routing.
2. Remove the plastic vapor barrier carefully and set aside for reuse.
3. Release the lock cylinder rod retainer clip and disconnect the rod.
4. Remove the U-shaped retainer clip, then remove the lock cylinder.
5. Loosen but do not remove the outer door handle retainer bolts - 10mm.
7. Wrap a clean soft shop towel around the handle to protect the door from damage and use a pair of diagonal cutting pliers to gently pry the release rod clip out of the handle. Replace the door handle-to-release rod clip.
8. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, making sure to use a new release rod clip.

I just changed by driver front door lock after the tumblers stopped allowing the key to insert fully nor rotate. No amount of graphite (then silicone spray) would fix this. I replaced my 2002 CRV lock with the 2002 Element part 72185-s94-013 since it was half price. The only issue was removing the c-clip (retainer clip) holding the lock tumbler on the door handle mounting plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts