Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2004 CR-V EX-L and did not get remotes with it. I looked up the VIN and found that it should have an immobilizer, an anti-theft and keyless entry.
I located the keyless entry unit, I believe the immobilizer is in the steering column, am I correct? and I can not find any information on where to locate the anti-theft unit.
Where is is located?

Are there separate manuals for the anti-theft and immobilizer units?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The keyless entry is in the remotes. They just lock or unlock the doors.

The immobilizer keeps the engine from starting if you don't have the correct key(s), so it can't be hotwired.
On your dashboard on the far left hand side there should be a key shaped light that comes on when you turn the key before starting. That's the immobilizer indicator. If you are able to start the engine then the immobilizer is working correctly.

The anti-theft lock is what keeps the steering wheel from turning after you remove the key.
Insert and turn the key to disable it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
What racoon said.

The immobilizer is part of all Honda's late 90s or early 2000s is when they started putting them in all of them. It is part of the key. If the engine starts then you have the right keys. Can't start the engine without keys specifically programmed to your CRV.

Keyless entry to identify requires removing the storage compartment that's between the climate controls and radio on the center dash. There will be a small "box" with a connector housing several wires going into it on the left side. If that box is there then you have keyless entry.

You can buy the remotes all over the internet a d a quick Google search will give you the procedure to program the remotes to work with your crv.

I would recommend buying Honda remotes. I bought aftermarket remotes for my CRV and was a nightmare to get the programming to take and the remotes don't work consistently. Often have to push buttons multiple times to get the doors to lock or unlock. I bought and programmed a second remote for my wife Odyssey (Honda remote) and never a single issue there which leads me to suspect the aftermarket remotes I bought for my V.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If you buy remotes make sure you get the correct one(s) for your CR-V generation, as remotes from a different generation are unlikely to work correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts