Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2004 CR-V EX runs well except when I stop at red lights. I notice the water temperature gauge starting to creep up. Once I take off and drive for a minute or so, the water temp goes right back down to normal.

What could the problem be?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I suspect the radiator fan is not working. Check the fuse, then make sure all the wires are connected and not corroded. Then make sure the fan works (run a hot wire to it) and check the temp sensor( in radiator).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the radiator fan is not working. Check the fuse, then make sure all the wires are connected and not corroded. Then make sure the fan works (run a hot wire to it) and check the temp sensor( in radiator).
I don't have a manual for it yet (the auto store didn't have one in stock). Where is the fan fuse located and is there a number beside it to help identify among other fuses in the box?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I don't have a manual for it yet (the auto store didn't have one in stock). Where is the fan fuse located and is there a number beside it to help identify among other fuses in the box?
Go to owners.honda.com and download your owners manual. It should tell you where the fuses are located. Have you noticed if the radiator fan is working? Also, how many miles do you have?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the fan today when I left work. Turned the car on with the AC running and let it get to operating temperature. AC was on. The fan on the passenger side was not spinning. The car has 177k miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone else needs them, here are the fuse diagrams for a 2004 Honda CR-V from the owners manual.

Interior fuse box:

Under hood fuse box:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mistyped earlier - it's the drivers side fan that wasn't on. It doesn't come on whether the AC is running or not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked both fan fuses and they are not blown. The engine compartment on this car is one of the cleanest I've ever owned. I could eat off it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a new AC condenser fan and radiator fan. Will plan to swap them out at the same time I install new headlights (and maybe the knock sensor will be easier to get to with the fans out of the way). Even if it turns out to be a relay or switch, at 177k miles the fans are ready to be replaced anyway in my book.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,169 Posts
FWIW, your issue could also be that an aftermarket thermostat was installed.

OEM thermostats seem to work best in Hondas.

The temp gauge is 'dampened', that is, it will stay just below the halfway mark despite the normal 15 - 25 degree F variations during normal driving.

If the gauge creeps up within a few seconds of stopping at a light, the engine is probably running hotter than normal (which is 180 - 198).

If you have an OBDII reader, you can often monitor the actual temperature. A Scangauge or Ultragauge can do this as well...so can some smartphone apps like Torque.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
While you're waiting for the new parts, just turn on you AC when you are stopped as that will at least turn on one fan. You can set the temp a little higher to minimize the compressor staying on too long.
If the new fan on Driver's side doesn't work, the next thing to check is the fan relays. You can just switch them between the two fans since they are the same. That is a quick way to see if it is a relay or not.
Buffalo4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts