Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. i recently decided i would like to buy a 2004 honda crv that is available in my area, however, the day before i was going to pick it up, it was brought to my attention about the settlement and the problematic air compressors on this model. my question is this, will replacing the air compressor with an aftermarket one, prevent the compressor from exploding? it really makes me nervous all the posts i see about this, and if i do decide to get the car, i would definitely want to swap the compressors so i dont have issues down the road, so i was wondering if that would be sufficient to prevent the problem from occurring. thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
First of all, is this 2004 A/C working or not? If it’s working, I wouldn’t touch it. Not every CRV has lost it’s A/C, don’t believe everything that you read or hear.

Best of luck, perhaps you can get the price lowered mentioning this issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, is this 2004 A/C working or not? If it’s working, I wouldn’t touch it. Not every CRV has lost it’s A/C, don’t believe everything that you read or hear.

Best of luck, perhaps you can get the price lowered mentioning this issue
yes, i have already brought up the issue, it is currently working fine, however, i wanted to be proactive in the matter because i cant afford a major repair like that, my mechanic checked it out though, and it had zero issues mechanically.....i see an overwhelming number of people post that say great car, horrible ac, it just worries the **** out of me, not to mention, i went to the honda dealership on the corner and he admitted he sees it happen alot

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Can you get your local dealer to pull up the service records of the one you're interested in to see if it's had any A/C issues in the past?
Might take having the owner go with you to get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any records at the local dealership, they want you to pay 100 bucks, its ridiculous, however, they told me its the original compressor, and that they would give me a 90 day warranty if i bought the car, or if i wanted the aftermarket compressor installed, they would do it free of any labor charge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get your local dealer to pull up the service records of the one you're interested in to see if it's had any A/C issues in the past?
Might take having the owner go with you to get it.
any records at the local dealership, they want you to pay 100 bucks, its ridiculous, however, they told me its the original compressor, and that they would give me a 90 day warranty if i bought the car, or if i wanted the aftermarket compressor installed, they would do it free of any labor charge

·
Registered
252 Posts
Normally I would agree to leave it alone if it's working because despite the bad rap not every vehicle will fail. BUT, with a deal like free labor, that would put me on the fence... If nothing else, you get a fresh start and piece of mind and labor is going to cost more than the part. New units seem to go for around $150 and I think I might pay that much to guarantee it working and seems like a good investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts