Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the cel come on it gave me the P1457 code so I replaced canister vent shut valve and reset the ecu. A week later it comes on again with the same code so I replaced the purge control solenoid valve, both with 3rd party parts (cheaper) and reset the ecu. A week later the the cel light is on again with the same code. So I tried top check to make sure I had voltage to the parts by back probing. I got a voltage reading on the purge valve but not able to get a reading on the shut valve. Then I disconnected the canister removed it I also removed the shut valve to see if I had gas in the canister. I couldn't even smell gas fumes. At that point I reinstalled everything, reset the ecu and started the engine. Not only did the cel come back on the battery light, ABS light and parking brake light came on. I have reset multiple times the eco in multiple ways even over night and the lights won't go away.

I had the codes read and they were p0340 cmp sensor, p0135 and p0141 both heaters circuit malfunctions and p1078 twice imp valve stock long. None of those codes make sense to me with the what lights that are lit. The car starts and runs without a problem. Operating those solenoids is done by the ecu by connecting the ground to each so do I have a positive lead going to ground which is shorting all those systems? or what?

·
Registered
895 Posts
P1457 is telling you there is a small leak in the system somewhere. Could be almost anything including the gas cap.

More than likely, you’ve blown fuse 4 under the dash poking grounds to things that shouldn’t have them. If you are lucky that’s all you’ve done. If I were you, I’d stop there and let someone who understands the systems troubleshoot it before you burn out some drivers in the PCM or something.

·
Registered
188 Posts
you need a smoke machine to find a leak in the evap system its hard to just replace parts by parts and the evap system parts is very expensive.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
For a 2004 the evap system parts are cheap.

p1457 doesn't only mean there is a leak. A valve stuck open can cause it. It's a low system pressure code. But you are right, randomly throwing parts at it is just a giant waste of money. This is why you take it to a mechanic.

Check the gas cap seal and the air filter (yes an overly dirty air filter can cause p1457) as well as expect to need a smoke test done.

As for check wires, NEVER EVER BACK PROBE ANYTHING. Sould be doing nothing more than checking voltage an grounds through a test light or volt meter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I knew I was going to get a lot of abuse and wasn't disappointed. The parts were cheap or I wouldn't have changed them out and yes I did replace the gas cap gasket too. BDub you were right the number 4 fuse was blown and replacing it and resetting the ecu made all the lights go away. If it comes on again I'll look to see if I can rent a smoke machine from a parts house, rubber in the desert doesn't last for ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know the gas cap should come under the p1456 code. When the evap system takes the fumes into the throttle body from the canister the shut valve closes the vent coming from the tank which should eliminate the gas cap. The purge valve opens and so does a valve to a vent tube that is in the frame in a plastic J. If you drive a lot in mud that could be restricted which wouldn't let the fumes to be sucked into the throttle body. You have to have a vent to air. I do have a clean air filter so that wasn't the issue either. It's probably a hose, we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts