Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 CRV, 215K miles

Started throwing p0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 codes a few months ago.
occasional flashing CEL

Car runs like a top, no stumble/hesitation/starting problems
mileage same as always
exhaust good, no weird smells like cat is toast
compression is 180-190 all cyls
new plugs

I got a new coil pack, tried swapping it to every cylinder, sometimes the first code that comes up is the one with the new pack
As soon as I get a CEL, I stop and pull codes. Seems to be completely random

Going to check injector resistance today, but based on everything else i've checked, I'll put money on them being OK.

Maybe I'll pull the cover and check valve clearance, but with compression being OK I doubt I'll find anything there.

Researching older/different engines, people point to EGR valve/passages being blocked, but I haven't found any EGR info for this engine. Is there one?

Getting desperate! Appreciate any insight offered
Ted

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
At that mileage, I'd do the valve clearances FIRST. They are supposed to be checked at ~110K miles.

After that I'd consider replacing the timing chain. Tho' you usually get a code when it stretches.

Please, post back with your results.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
On some sites, they claim that an EGR valve and/or its passages can also cause those symptoms, although I thought EGR problems presented different symptoms.
Valve adj is usually one of the most common causes, as Carbuff2 suggested.
Timing chain, as he said, is another.
Still, there may be other causes.
The valve adj would be a good preventive maint. procedure, anyways. If you do the valve adj, please report back how the clearances were.
Many set the exhaust valves clearances to the looser side of the recommended settings range (because they get tighter over time) and the intake to the tighter side of the rec range because they tend to get looser over time.
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got into this a couple weeks ago and redid all the clearances.
I checked cyl#1 when I opened it up, and intake was about .010" and exhaust was .012"
Just getting the feeler gages into the first one was such a PITA that I figured I was better off just resetting all 16 valves and didn't bother checking clearance on the other three cylinders.

Took my time over a couple nights, buttoned everything up, and gave it a shot....no idiot light. Been about a month and seems like that did the trick.

I used the Das Chicken DIY I found somewhere around here, was very helpful.
I set the intake at the low end, exhaust at the high end of the clearance specs.

Thanks for the guidance Buffalo4 & Carbuff2. This car is going to be my son's ride...figured a 5spd will keep his thumbs off the phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts