Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2004 radio blinking draining battery?

12322 9
I'm visiting my Mom at her summer place. She is here about 5 months out of the year, has a 2004 cr-v LX with the 6 disc cd changer that stays here, garaged. This year is the first time the cr-v has sat for several months, and the battery was dead when she got here from the airport, she thinks it's due to the blinking radio anti-theft light. The '94 Accord she used to have here didn't have a blinking light and the battery never went dead over the winter. So says mom...

Would pulling the radio fuse when she leaves this fall help? Or should she just disconnect the battery cables? Or something else?
Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Electronics of the car, computer, radio, alarm, clock etc, always draw current when the car is not in use. Usually 30 to 50 mA. If the car is sitting for any long period of time, the battery will die. If it is for a very long period of time, the battery will die even if not connected. As tmcgee mentioned, get a Battery tender.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
A few years ago, you could pick up solar battery chargers for cheap on eBay (~$10). VW used them to keep the batteries trickle charged during ship transport from the factory to the destination when the cars would be at sea or import lots for months. There are plenty of others on the market. The VW one plugged into the OBD2 port -- quick and easy.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If it's the original Battery, then it's time to replace it. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about the radio blinking light.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V LX
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few clarifications.
My mom's place is in a condo complex, with an underground parking garage. Solar battery charger won't work - no sunlight. I doubt her condo association would allow her to keep a battery charger plugged in for 5-6 months; they're pretty strict about everything anyone wants to do. Either that or it'd get stolen...

Her dealer recommends disconnecting the battery cables if she's storing it for several months. She's capable of doing so, I was just trying to find a possibly easier solution.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If disconnecting the battery cables turns out to be your best option, you might want to check into a battery disconnect switch. It's a very common item in the RV world. In its simplest form, its just a heavy duty knife switch that installs between to positive terminal and the positive cable. Simply open the hood and open or close the blade of the switch. Done!!

·
Registered
2017 CR-V LX
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the disconnect switch sounds like a good idea - she used to R/V, surprised she didn't think of that. I wish she had a trusted friend, but I think the one neighbor she trusts is also a summer-only resident.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lead-acid batteries slowly self-discharge, so a somewhat old car battery will go dead in a few months of disuse. The solution is to either drive it occasionally plug it into a trickle charger. You can remove the battery, put it in your apartment and leave it plugged in. If the battery's old, replace it.

The car's electronics will also drain the battery over six months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.