Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a beautiful 2004 I drove it over 1200 miles home from Florida without issue.

Now every day the car seems to start a little rough after its been sitting for a while and radio drops into security code mode.

The only real thing that is wrong with the car is that all the door locks besides the driver the actuators have died.

I'm not sure if the security system is draining the battery to the point where the radio cuts power and codes out but then the vehicle still has more than enough power to turn over.

Any help would be appreciated I am ordering 3 new actuators as soon as I can.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Just for starters, make sure the battery terminals are corrosion free and tight. Same with the ground wire from the neg bat terminal to the frame and the grounding wire from the frame to the engine (that is the one in your owner's manual where it tells you to attach the neg jumper cable to if you jumper your vehicle.
Describe what you mean by starting a little rough. Turns over slowly, turns quickly but takes a while to fire up, runs roughly when it starts up, etc.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

I replaced the negative terminal clamp the other one was corroded pretty good and I had one lying around. I smeared dielectric grease on it after cleaning it and reconnecting. The grounding looks to be making good contact to the frame.

The starter spins the engine at the normal speed but it fires after about the second turn over and kinda stumbles and then idles like normal.

I also noticed that when the radio looses power it almost seems to stop at a point die and code and then the radio time clock starts back up.

After starting it in the morning the clock instead of zeroing out to 12:00 it will show different times like 3:45 or 5:13 blinking like it lost power and then it was restored.

I'm questioning if the security system is trying to lock the actuators that don't work and keeps sending power because they don't work eventually giving up when the battery hits a certain voltage but is still enough to pop the engine over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket theft system? Those are always suspect. Remove!
I forgot the car is bone stock no extra or aftermakert security system it was driven by a old lady it only has 85k on it.

Its has the stock head unit security and original key and fob

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When driving around leave all the locks into the lock position including the driver side that you said that is working properly. See if it will make a difference. Would you have another Honda vehicle that you can fit the same battery size as the 04 Crv you have? YOu could also have a bad battery that has an internal short or bad cell. What brand of battery do you have there now? When the time you are experiencing ,take out the key then get a jumper cable then connect the negative jumper clamp to the negative terminal from the booster cable to a good engine ground point be sure that it has very good contact then try to start the engine again then see if the engine stumbles or idles normally. Let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some probing I found that there was some voltage spikes going on inside the car mainly though the radio and accessory lines

I decided to the most obvious thing and take out the radio

IMG_20160518_184451.jpg

IMG_20160518_184503.jpg

Behind was a hidden gem a XM FM injector with a entire cigarette lighter power adapter wired directly into the radios incoming power.

I removed the entire mess closed the cable splices and everything seems to be working

For future reference anything drawing off the radios power will cause major issues with overvolting almost everything in the dash including the ABS light BRAKE light, Millage display back-light, and all button and climate control lights.

Thanks for the suggestions, time to enjoy the car with a working radio

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I guess that old lady that had it before was pretty good when it came to installing this setup.

Good catch and glad you got it figured out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts