Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this vehicle and while sitting at light noticed the pedal slowlllllly sinking. Found no leaks and like everyone else on the Internet I figured it was a mastercylinder car has 120k on it, well taken care of. So I put a master cylinder on it and figured it may be due for a complete flush anyways so what the heck. Unfortunately....that fixed nothing! The problem is still there exactly as before! It does eventually get to a point where it quits sinking that is not all the way to the floor but a whole lot of travel to get there! This is an EX model with discs at all four corners. My first impression of the problem was like back in the day where your rear drums might have shoes that are way out of adjustment and the pedal was simply sinking as it filled the rear wheel cylinders. Being that this has 4 wheel disks, that is certainly not going on so the idea of the mastercylinder internally leaking within itself was surely possible. No loss of fluid anywhere. So what can I look to next?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow am I the only one with this problem? Anyways I read some threads that talked about the ABS in the scope of things. I took a chance and found a gravel rd and stomped on the brakes to get the ABS to kick in. I did this about 4 or 5 times and don’t ask me why but it cured my sinking brake pedal! If I read properly engaging the ABS will chase any air out of that system. No clue how it works but hate that I did all the work swapping the MC and full flush when in fact all I had to do was make the ABS function. Go figure. All good.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Sorry to hear that no here helped you about this problem. Usually the CRvs don't have these problem. Air going into the ABS system. Was anything been replaced before you got the vehicle? I think the explanation is when you got the ABS working the air trapped inside the solenoids released the air. Did the brake fluid in the MC became lower after the sinking went away? There are a lot of good people here that are very helpful. But we are on the Holiday Season sometimes people get busy with their lives. Again I apologize for the lack of response of your problem that you are having.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had put front pads on it the day before so maybe retracting the caliper pistons caused something. I just bought the car the day before that. Not if the problem was there before that or not. I mean I drove it for one day but didn’t notice the sinking pedal until after the pads/rotors. Could have been doing it and I didn’t notice. Just not sure. I mean it was certainly due for a fluid flush anyways so I guess it’s fine.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Ok, I see. Most likely some dirt got stuck in between the solenoids inside the ABS unit & made the pedal sink to the floor as it won't close properly. I'm glad that you found the fix. Another that might have fix it is to hook up an OEM scan tool to open the solenoids inside the ABS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts