Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 has 113,700 miles is smelling real rich and the check engine light that would only come on sometimes now stays on. Buddy of mine hooked it to his code reader and said both 02 sensors. He says it is because it is running rich and replacing o2 sensor will not fix problem.

How do I fix the running rich problem?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2004 has 113,700 miles is smelling real rich and the check engine light that would only come on sometimes now stays on. Buddy of mine hooked it to his code reader and said both 02 sensors. He says it is because it is running rich and replacing o2 sensor will not fix problem.

How do I fix the running rich problem?
Do you know what caused the intermittent MIL? Do you know the exact codes? Is your friend sure that the O2 sensors aren't what's causing the rich condition?

There are different reasons why the car could be running rich, but if one of the 02 sensors is dead, that would certainly do it. O2 sensors constantly sense and help regulate the air/fuel mixture (rich and lean), to improve emissions. When the sensors aren't working, the computer is in what's called "open loop" meaning it sends a fixed "rich" amount of fuel to the engine with no input from the sensors. Cars do this when warming up, but then switch to "closed loop" and rely on the multiple sensors for input on regulating emissions. Driving around in "open loop" is not good for emissions, fuel economy, or the catalytic converter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts