Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.

I have a 2004 with 175K miles and it is "mint". Other than chips and nicks on the paint it is as clean as the day it came off the assembly line...including the engine compartment and has always received timely oil and fluid changes.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2006 with 80K miles. It has been "pretty" well maintained but not to exacting standards. Still, it is in very good condition.

I am considering upgrading since this new one has about 95K fewer miles.

Anything I should be aware of between the two years? I know the A/T was upgraded to a 5-speed in 2005 but I cannot find many complaints about the newer 5-speed.

BTW, the 2004 has zero rust but the 2006 does have some rust starting on the undercarriage and some brackets in the engine compartment.

ALL opinions appreciated...including what an average price should be for the 2006.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
2006 & 2005 has also some changes made to the engine it has the VSA & throttle by wire. Be wary of the Rust build up also check the bottom of the body. The 06 is the last V that is made in Japan. 16" tires, & bigger brakes. If you are planning to install a M/T be sure you get the 6th gear also.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Otto,

Not sure if its worth the money to gain the extra low miles since my 2004 has almost no oil loss between 5K OCI using Mobil-1. The entire car still runs tight as a drum.

I think the main reason I like that 2006 is that I have wanted a white exterior and tan interior for some time to match my other vehicles.

I probably won't swap out a M/T in the 2006 IF I buy it...although that is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I agree with you, if your 04 runs good I would keep it. As I have seen in many TSX , Accord & Element forum. If they have a M/T they add the 6th gear. Some of the 05 has also some Strut problem the vehicle veers to the right or left because of a defective Strut from the factory. But most likely these problems has been resolved.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otto,
I have complete Service History for my 2004 from Honda and purchased from original owner.

The 2006 is second owner and they can offer no service history. ;-(

I am so tempted but my little 2004 is a real beauty.

Side question...both vehicles are in need of new tires. I want to get some highway tread Michelins. Any suggestions? I have dedicated studded tires for winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
AD: If I remember correctly, you live in AK part-time and the rest in Denver ?? If so, are car prices as high (relatively speaking) as what we see food prices are ?? If so, wouldn't it make sense to buy back in CO ?? Just curious. Craig

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Magnum...Good to hear you chime in.

Finally moved out of AK and am residing in CO and FL (Thought I would be a snowbird this winter after too many dark AK winters).

CO has the highest prices on CRV's that I have seen anywhere...they are very popular in the mountains. Good point of CO car is minimal rust but bad is that miles are always high...maybe 150K+ for a 2006.

That is the appeal of this 2006 to me...with 75K original miles.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think I would keep the rust free one over one that is starting to rust. I've had many rust infested vehicles over the years. My brother has a body shop and repairs a lot of rust. He just finished and is now putting rust repair panels on 2007 and 2008 Chevrolet, GMC and Ram pickups where they have rusted over the rear wheels. You can permanently fix a mechanical problem but rust is permanent and repairs are temporary and it always shows up somewhere else.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That has always been my tought as well about rust.

This rust on the 2006 is still superficial on the underbody. None on body.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought all CR-Vs were made in Japan through the 2006-MY but this 2006 I am looking at with a build date of 11-2005 shows place of manufacture as the UK.

Anyone know of any differences in build quality between UK and Japan Assembly ?

Personally, I prefer Japan...

·
Everything in Moderation
7,613 Posts
The UK and Japan-built Vs are very similar in reliability. (GREAT!) There are some differences that you need to be aware of...always buy parts with the VIN at the online dealer sites.

Regards rust, where is it showing up? If it's only the brackets underneath (or perhaps the Cat Con heat shields) that's typical and is not structural.

I'd look at used CR-Vs in Florida. I bet you could find rust-free low mileage examples there.

I have relatives in TN and the pickings for used cars there are much greater than up north, because rust is so much less.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The UK and Japan-built Vs are very similar in reliability. (GREAT!) There are some differences that you need to be aware of...always buy parts with the VIN at the online dealer sites.

Regards rust, where is it showing up? If it's only the brackets underneath (or perhaps the Cat Con heat shields) that's typical and is not structural.

I'd look at used CR-Vs in Florida. I bet you could find rust-free low mileage examples there.

I have relatives in TN and the pickings for used cars there are much greater than up north, because rust is so much less.

Hello Buff,

Good to know the UK assembly plant also had a good reputation.

The rust is on structural components of the undercarriage. There are tubes integrated into the underside and they have drainholes and rust has started at those openings (going from memory).

The problem with FL cars is they are located very near the ocean and salt air. Maybe I should watch the Orlando market but I have a feeling it will be tough to find any G-2 or G-2.5 as clean as mine.

My 2004 was bought from Original Elderly Owner with full Honda Service History since new and garage kept.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree that the best cars come from inland southern states. I live in Virginia within 50 miles of Tennessee and my daughter lives in Tennessee. Tennessee has snow but unlike Virginia, they don't "waste" much money on salt and other corrosive things when the roads get slick like they do in Virginia. On the other hand, Tennessee doesn't have state safety inspections and needed repairs are frequently left undone (brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Used Prices.

Do any of you happen to follow the NADA and similar for how accurate their price reporting is for Gen-2 CR-Vs?

I am finding most CR-Vs listed on Craigslist start with very high pricing (higher than NADA) and do not sell until an advertised price drop (similar to NADA)...and there is no way to tell what the final sale price is BUT I am guessing the final price is still negotiated lower than the advertised (which would make it lower than NADA values).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I decided to keep my 2004 and just finished 6K miles in the past month.

No issues and average 26 mpg at 70-75 mph.

I did install new Michelin Defender 205/70/15 all around. (Discount Tire $110/each and $70 rebate)

They do result in a very slight "wandering" of the front end but they are a quiet tire.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Otto,
I have complete Service History for my 2004 from Honda and purchased from original owner.

The 2006 is second owner and they can offer no service history. ;-(

I am so tempted but my little 2004 is a real beauty.

Side question...both vehicles are in need of new tires. I want to get some highway tread Michelins. Any suggestions? I have dedicated studded tires for winter.

Thanks
Sorry I didn't mean to ignore you. Just gotten so busy I did not have the chance to reply. You mentioned from your latest post that the Michelin wanders a bit. Double check the tire pressures on the 2 front tires if they are perfectly the same.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire pressures checked daily since I am logging big highway miles and I wanted to confirm they were mounted properly.

I read a customer review who also experienced a slight wander.

The tires are rated for 90,000 miles but reviews indicate more like 60K-70K mile tread life; however, those reports were on heavier SUVs than are lightweight Gen-2 so I will be interested to see.

Also, I am debating regular applications of MeGuires Tire Treatment. Comes in a squirt bottle.
Down in the FL heat these tires get brown fast. I know its a natural reaction of the tire material but my I have had Michelins get "weather checking" (small cracks) in the past and I don't want these drying oit.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sorry to hijack here, but had a similar situation come up...

I was wondering about that myself. I have a chance to buy a 2006 SE in really nice condition at a steal, but it has a bad auto transmission in it. In looking around, there seem to be fewer UK transmissions available than Japan at the moment. (I verified it does have the Swindon, UK SHSRD... VIN number.) I checked a Honda parts dealer, and they use two different part numbers for the 5AT transmission. Yet if I look at third party rebuild kits for this transmission, they do not differentiate between the two. (So it could just be an external difference, perhaps.)

So it's a matter of finding a used trans, or just having a local shop rebuild this one. I would still come out way ahead. And I have yet to see if the trans really is bad, or if the owner was told that by the dealer (who would rather sell a reman transmission vs. doing all the proper diagnostics and checking solenoids, etc.).

Your username looks familiar. Think I saw you on another Honda forum a while back... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts