Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm brand new here but have been browsing many honda forums over the past weeks looking for solutions so I apologise if I'm in the wrong category or anything.

Long story short, my 2005 CRV lost all throttle and went into a 'limp mode' where it held revs above idle but I had no control over them through the pedal. I plugged in my cheap chinese OBD2 reader and got codes P1248 & P2138. A quick google led me to this post (CRV 2005 diesel, limp mode P2127, P2138, P1248 help!)

I followed the steps others had taken, firstly just unplugging and blowing the connection out, it worked for a few miles. Then I cleaned it out with a cotton bud & some electrical contact cleaner. When this stopped working I bought a second hand sensor off ebay, before fitting I noticed the throttle cable was loose so I tensioned it appropriately. This worked for almost 300 miles! However when it went into limp and the engine light came on again I put the new (second hand off ebay) sensor on, didnt work. Thinking that was just the risk you take when buying second hand I bought a brand new in the box genuine Honda sensor. As you probably expect, this also didnt work.

I'm now at a loss on what to do, I phoned an auto electrican I know and he says it could be another connection on the wiring loom that may have corroded. But at ££ per hour on what is ultimately a £1500 car I dont fancy letting him have a go.

I'm handy myself as I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and my dad owns and services his own wagons so between us we can handle most things. I just need pointing in the right direction by one of you helpful chaps!

Any wiring or pin out diagrams would be appreciated, or any inside honda knowledge / know how.

Please help me keep my honda on the road!

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.

Stay tuned - our two vaults of knowledge, @UK-Kev / @Tricky Dicky 69 will pop along and advise.
I'm watching this thread like a hawk, I'm half depressed because my car has broke down and half excited for some tips on how to sort it hahaha.

Not sure how you honda lads will feel about this but for the time being I've been driving to work in my '84 Toyota FJ40 ;)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,625 Posts
As long as it isnt French, German or Nissan....:)

Reactions: Tricky Dicky 69

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

Regarding the error code P2138 please see attached pdf.

I suspect your error code P1248 low boost pressure is the result of going into limp mode and when the above is rectified this code should be resolved.

Kev

Thanks for this, I'll try following it this weekend. Could you help me interpret the wiring diagram though please

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I got a mate who's an auto electrician round to have a look, plugged his computer in and as the pedal was slowly being depressed the voltage rose from 0v-5v as expected however along the way it temporarily dropped to 0v a couple of times. After taking some tension off the cable we got it so it dropped to around 1.75v to 2v or so rather than to 0v. However this didnt work and it threw the same code as before after a mile or two.

Upon further inspection I think the 'genuine honda' sensor from ebay is a chinese clone so I've sent that back for a full refund thanks to a couple of AMEX charge back threats. So the next step is either sell the car as a non runner (only paid £1500 for it in the first place) however other than this issue its a sound car. Or fork out £300 for a GENIUNE geniune honda part from here (Genuine Honda CR-V / FR-V Accelerator Throttle Position Sensor 2005-2009) looks trust worthy enough (anyone else dealt with them before?)

From my local dealership they're wanting £400+ for the same part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I bit the bullet and bought the genuine sensor only to have it throw a code as soon as you press the pedal. Does it need calibrating or anything on installation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts