Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my stock radio and want to get all the new tech.

I would like to preserve the steering wheel controls for volume, etc.

We did this a while ago with my wifes mpv and the controls and backup camera never worked right. We would take it back, it would work for 4 months, then stop, rinse, repeat. This experience is what has held me back on replacing mine.

What I require on the head unit is an easily accessible usb input so I can pop a thumb drive in with a few gigs of mp3s, a backup camera, android auto, and full cell phone integration, calling, reading texts, etc.

What I would like is a knob for volume, navigation so I can take my garmin off my dash, and an ability to run the backup camera as a rear facing dash cam and record all the time. (I could then take my rear camera off the hatch window)

What I don't need is new speakers or much more power, I am happy with the current audio output of the stock unit.

suggestions?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I would start at Crutchfield.com. Use their "Find what fits your vehicle" under the "Car audio & video" menu.

I have no idea whether all of your requirements are possible, especially on "always on" backup camera with ability to record.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am going to replace my stock radio and want to get all the new tech.
Which generation of CR-V? The 5th gen CR-V can't accommodate aftermarket head units, but everything through the 4th gen can. Metra (and Scosche?) make dash kits and wiring harnesses that will match the factory wiring, so everything should plug in and work properly.

I doubt you will get a volume knob--if you want the navigation or anything like Android Audio or carplay, the screen will take up most of the front face of the unit. That doesn't bother me since I use the steering wheel controls most of the time. I installed a Pioneer 4200NEX in my '09 myself, and everything I connected is working OK. (I added a USB3 extension receptacle to my center console, to give me remote access to the two rear USB ports, one of which is used for Android Auto, and the other for a 256GB USB stick.)

Some of the newer units might support backup cameras, but most can't use the camera already installed in the vehicle (they use their own camera, often sold as an accessory that bolts to the license plate frame).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Wildcat
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing