Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’ve ran into some interesting battery/alternator issues with my CR-V and would appreciate any input you have. Details are below!

I have a 2005 Honda CR-V with ~314,000 miles on it. About a month ago, I had an alternator failure and was forced to replace the alternator and battery (the vehicle stalled out on me shortly after the alternator failed).

After getting the all-clear from the mechanic’s shop, I drove the car as usual until I noticed that the battery light popped back on about 4 days after getting the new alternator. I was able to bring it into a Honda dealership where they noticed that the new alternator wasn’t outputting enough power to recharge the battery - hence the battery light. I took it back to the original mechanic who replaced it with a second alternator at no charge.

About a week later, the same story repeated: the battery light flickered off and on for a short while before staying on. The battery was not charging (confirmed with a multimeter), and the mechanics were mostly stumped.

One of the mechanics has a suspicion that the charging issues could be connected to a belt replacement that was made on the car about 10 months ago: the compressor pulley for the air conditioning seized up, but we managed to bypass it using a shorter belt (K070553 with serial number 7PK1404).

The thing is, this belt has supported the car for ~10,000 miles and appears to be fine (to the untrained eye), so I’m at a loss as to what could be causing the charging issues.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated - thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did your mechanic bench check the alternators to see if working proper? There is a lot of junk parts going into these now days. Starts out working fine then craps out. Even Honda is using Chinese made parts. If the belts not slipping has proper tension, I can't see that being a problem. Doug

·
Registered
03 CRV
844 Posts
I agree with highrider. double check the brand name and source of the alternator.

A 5 year warranty on an alternator means that they put good quality parts in it, with quality assembly. They’re confident in their product.

A lifetime warranty on an alternator means that they made the alternator so cheaply that even if you return 2 or 3 of them with early failure, they’re still making money on you and betting on you just going to a different brand later. Lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all! I’ve ran into some interesting battery/alternator issues with my CR-V and would appreciate any input you have. Details are below!

I have a 2005 Honda CR-V with ~314,000 miles on it. About a month ago, I had an alternator failure and was forced to replace the alternator and battery (the vehicle stalled out on me shortly after the alternator failed).

After getting the all-clear from the mechanic’s shop, I drove the car as usual until I noticed that the battery light popped back on about 4 days after getting the new alternator. I was able to bring it into a Honda dealership where they noticed that the new alternator wasn’t outputting enough power to recharge the battery - hence the battery light. I took it back to the original mechanic who replaced it with a second alternator at no charge.

About a week later, the same story repeated: the battery light flickered off and on for a short while before staying on. The battery was not charging (confirmed with a multimeter), and the mechanics were mostly stumped.

One of the mechanics has a suspicion that the charging issues could be connected to a belt replacement that was made on the car about 10 months ago: the compressor pulley for the air conditioning seized up, but we managed to bypass it using a shorter belt (K070553 with serial number 7PK1404).

The thing is, this belt has supported the car for ~10,000 miles and appears to be fine (to the untrained eye), so I’m at a loss as to what could be causing the charging issues.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated - thank you!
Is there a auto electric shop in your area that REBUILDS Alternator on site? If so, it would be worth your while to bring the alternator to them for bench testing and internal inspection.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts

I agree with the mechanic in this case. You modified the intended design of the engine belt system, and no telling what kind of issues that poses over time. how do you know the belt tension is right? and that it is not compromising the alternator?

Not declaring that to be the problem, but I certainly would take steps to rule it out FIRST.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with the mechanic in this case. You modified the intended design of the engine belt system, and no telling what kind of issues that poses over time. how do you know the belt tension is right? and that it is not compromising the alternator?

Not declaring that to be the problem, but I certainly would take steps to rule it out FIRST.
I have to agree with this everything has to be OEM specs or non-modified for one to verify where the issue started. I know A/C compressor aren't cheap but if you want to fix right one must do right for the V's. Ours wasn't cheap to fix but that something that would do good for the V's. The loss of charge I suspect would stem from this change that doesn't fit for the V's operation. So do the V's right and get the A/C fixed and then they mech can verify what or where the issues coming from.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,066 Posts
Did your mechanic bench check the alternators to see if working proper? There is a lot of junk parts going into these now days. Starts out working fine then craps out. Even Honda is using Chinese made parts. If the belts not slipping has proper tension, I can't see that being a problem. Doug
Sorry, but I do not like to bash Chinese products like that. Not all Chinese products are bad. Some are quite good but you must pay a premium for it. Most people tend to cheap out and expect quality?? Why?? Doesn't the saying go, "You get what you pay for."????

New parts do not always mean good parts. Doesn't matter where they are made. But replacing parts and having the same failure might indicate another issue?? What was the charging current? Both before failure and during failure? Voltage output of alternator? Any resistance in wiring? Green corrosion in connectors??

·
Registered
03 CRV
844 Posts
Sorry, but I do not like to bash Chinese products like that. Not all Chinese products are bad. Some are quite good but you must pay a premium for it. Most people tend to cheap out and expect quality?? Why?? Doesn't the saying go, "You get what you pay for."????
Fair statement. The problem I have is that there can be two competing products that look identical to each other on the outside, yet vary on the quality of their internal components that can affect either durability or functionality.

The term rebuilt or remanufactured is also getting muddled these days where often times wear components are not replaced, but simply “tested”. So instead of replacing all wear parts to get something functionally equivalent to new, it was a search to find the one part that failed and getting the product to function again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts