Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I bought a 2005 CR-V LX w/ a 5 spd manual trans and 130k miles about month ago. CarFax and mechanic inspection both came back clean, but now I am having issues with my charging system light coming on, followed a few minutes later by various other electrical system lights coming on.

IMG_20161115_201648.jpg IMG_20161115_201721.jpg

It has only happened twice, but the strange thing is that it only happens at night, on the freeway, at high speed (70mph), and high rpm (3000rpm).
(The pictures show me going slower, but the lights first come on at around those speeds and rpms.)

During the times it has happened I have had my headlights, radio, and blower on. I have read a lot of places that say it's the alternator, but before I drop $140 on a new part, I was wondering if it could be the belt slipping and causing the alternator to not produce enough charge. My reasoning for this is that it has only happened at high rpm's so far. Can anyone offer insight into this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello!

I bought a 2005 CR-V LX w/ a 5 spd manual trans and 130k miles about month ago. CarFax and mechanic inspection both came back clean, but now I am having issues with my charging system light coming on, followed a few minutes later by various other electrical system lights coming on.

View attachment 72265 View attachment 72257

It has only happened twice, but the strange thing is that it only happens at night, on the freeway, at high speed (70mph), and high rpm (3000rpm).
(The pictures show me going slower, but the lights first come on at around those speeds and rpms.)

During the times it has happened I have had my headlights, radio, and blower on. I have read a lot of places that say it's the alternator, but before I drop $140 on a new part, I was wondering if it could be the belt slipping and causing the alternator to not produce enough charge. My reasoning for this is that it has only happened at high rpm's so far. Can anyone offer insight into this issue? Thanks!
Possibly. When diagnosing and repairing always go with the cheapest route first. So yesreplace the belt first and see if the issue disappears.

Besides it would be wise to have a new belt anyway once you have a new alternator

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Definitely check the battery cables and their connections to the battery.
The connections at the battery should be clean and tight (snug).
Have your battery checked to make sure it is in good condition.
Also check the two main grounding straps (cables).
One goes from the (-) battery terminal to the frame the radiator is mounted on, I believe, and the other goes from that same frame, but nearer the radiator, to the engine block.
Any other electrical components not working properly?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buffalo4:

I'll check the battery and connections after work today.

When the indicator lights all came on the other day there were a few moments where my radio definitely cut out and my I think my lights started to dim. Forgot to mention that in my original post, but it's the main reason I thought the alternator was going.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,149 Posts
X2 on replacing the serpentine belt (unless you have records indicating a replacement).

If no joy, next I'd get the alternator and battery load-tested.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If the radio went out I would suspect a bad battery or fuse box connection, or, a bad ignition switch.
Check battery cable connections and the two main grounding jumper connections.
Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts