Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2005 CR-V EX 4WD is losing oil somehow. A couple months ago the car ran great and didn't use a drop of oil in between oil changes. It's always been serviced on time and at our local dealership.

Just before July, we noticed the car didn't have any oil showing up on the dipstick. Turned out it was a couple quarts low. It's never done anything like this before, usually stays full for the 3000 miles in-between oil changes. We've taken the car to the dealership and Firestone without any answers. Engine bay was inspected for leaks and didn't turn up anything and it also doesn't seem to be burning oil, not seeing blue smoke in the exhaust. Not seeing any drippings on the ground either. I've been tracking how much oil is needed after our last oil change and it seems to lose oil at odd intervals.

Miles after oil change..........Mileage...........Qts. Added/ Notes
500..................................140,024...........0 - Full
1000................................140,618...........Needs a little, none added here
1500................................141,131...........1 qt, was down to lower dot
2000................................141,667...........Needs a little, none added here
2500................................142,079...........1 qt

I'm confused how the car could suddenly be losing a quart or two of oil without any of the normal telltale signs (leaks, drips, or burning smoke). After some looking around it looks like a bad PCV valve could be an issue? I'm definitely leaning more towards the car is burning oil. The dealership said they can't do anything else to solve the problem unless they start taking the engine apart. Firestone recommended using specialty full synthetic oil which stops oil leaks. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

FYI. I'm willing to try servicing or replacing parts as long as it isn't too complicated. I'm not a mechanic by any means and I have basic tools :) Just trying to save some time and money. I'll try to post updates, but I only have the weekends to look at the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with Shryp they could have poured in the wrong viscosity. Instead of 5w20 they have poured in 0w-20. It happened to a friend of mine with a Lexus, the dealer poured 5w20 instead of 5w30. In just 3 days of driving almost 3 litres are gone by the engine burning it. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If the wrong wt oil was used, it could cause more oil burning, but that should be obvious under heavy acceleration or deceleration by the blue smoke in the exhaust.
Check to make sure the oil didn't leak into the radiator fluid or the atf.
You need to get your crv on a hoist and take a good look underneath it.
Oil either leaks or gets burned by going past the oil ring on the piston.
Check closely by the oil pan drain plug and the oil filter area.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's always the possibility that the dealership used the wrong oil. Called them up and was told the only oil they would have put in there is conventional 5w-20. The first time we noticed low oil was at the end of the 3000 miles just before July. Even with a fresh oil change it seems to be using oil. Didn't notice any blue smoke when accelerating. Car seems to be getting the same gas mileage and has regular performance.

I don't have access to a lift, but was able to crawl under the car and get some pictures. Transmission, brake, and differential fluid were all recently changed. Transmission fluid is still bright pink. Coolant seems to be ok and is blue/green in color. Oil drain plug seems to be ok. Oil filter looks like there's a little bit around it, but it doesn't look fresh. The back right corner of the oil pan seems to be gunked up with something. Maybe old oil? Not sure if this is normal. The passenger side frame rail has some oil residue on it, but I'm not sure if it's fresh or normal. I would think the dealership would have commented on something like the oil pan or the oil filter leaking. This was the only area I could find which look like it had fluid or oil like residue. I'll post pictures soon and clean this region today and see what happens in the next couple weeks or so. I appreciate the input from everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the picture quality. Didn't have much room for a camera and lights since I don't have a lift.

Valve cover region looks good.
edit 1.jpg

Oil plug looked ok, looks like oil residue coming from the oil pan gasket?
edit 2.jpg

Oil pan gasket seems to have oil residue. Is this normal? Just around the back side and back right corner of the oil pan.
edit 3.jpg

Passenger side frame has oil residue on it
edit 4.jpg

Another view of frame
edit 5.jpg

Back right corner of oil pan
edit 6.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't get much of a picture of the oil filter. The back right corner of the oil pan looks gunked up though.
edit 7.jpg

Similar picture of the oil filter and back right of oil pan
edit 8.jpg

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I would suggest to place a fresh cardboard underneath the vehicle when parking overnight just to verify that there is no severe leak. What is the odometer reading?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2011 v with 62k miles on it was using about 1 qt in 2k miles w/0w-20 synthetic oil -I then added 16oz of marvel mystery oil plus 16oz 0w-20 to bring level back to full- the next 2k miles it only used about 1/3 qt -much better so I think the MM oil may have unstuck oil control rings as it is known to do. I have experienced this similar scenario on 2 other engines where MM reduces oil consumption -also pcv valve which is easy change could cause presssure build up in engine forcing oil past rings to be burned. 5w-30 synthetic might also help and would be fine to run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
otto888man - Thanks for the reminder. Odometer reads 142,582 miles. We first noticed the low oil issue right around 139,500 miles.

bobcat20 - After our next oil change if the engine still is losing oil I'll probably try using the marvel mystery plus 5w20 oil. Sounds like it could help reduce the issue.

I might try inspecting the PCV valve next weekend. Any ideas as to what could be causing the random oil consumption intervals? Doesn't seem to be using oil at a constant rate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Random oil consumption could be caused by a randomly sticking pcv valve or possibly a driver who lets the motor lug frequently ie; running slow in top gear a lot -my crv likes to upshift to 5th and chug along at 1500 rpm at 40-50mph which is I feel lugging motor -so I will use d3 when lots of travel at 50 or below is happening. Lugging is a well know cause of increased oil comsumption as engine vacumn is high then which tends to suck oil up past oil control rings into cylinder to be burned -especially if oil rings are somewhat sticking due to carbon build up.I certainly dont know if this your issue but these are simple low cost things you can experiment with.On pcv valve use only honda oem -aftermarket ones are usually very cheaply made.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Random oil consumption could be caused by a randomly sticking pcv valve or possibly a driver who lets the motor lug frequently ie; running slow in top gear a lot -my crv likes to upshift to 5th and chug along at 1500 rpm at 40-50mph which is I feel lugging motor -so I will use d3 when lots of travel at 50 or below is happening. Lugging is a well know cause of increased oil comsumption as engine vacumn is high then which tends to suck oil up past oil control rings into cylinder to be burned -especially if oil rings are somewhat sticking due to carbon build up.I certainly dont know if this your issue but these are simple low cost things you can experiment with.On pcv valve use only honda oem -aftermarket ones are usually very cheaply made.
Very good point. It could also be stuck oil control rings that is carboned up as what you stated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A few other ideas on oil consumption -a dirty or clogged air intake (filter) will caused increased oil consumption due to manifold pressure change, lugging which I mentioned in prior post increases piston loading can cause increased consumption and finally pinging/detonation causes loading/shock to pistons which briefly distorts ring positions and can cause consumption -also pinging can be difficult to notice if you are running ac,radio etc -lugging also promotes detonation so its a double whamey for consumption.Could try 89 octane different brand gas. It will be difficult to determine which (if any) of these is real cause unless you changed one at a time and monitored consumption but that would likely take to long -probably better to do as many as resonable to improve things quickly. Check air intake piping if filter is good and clean -mice like to build in there and plug things up. good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts