Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the video. Do all after market stereos require you to tap into the e-brake? I just started looking for a replacement stereo for my 05 crv today but I am not so handy so I'd prefer something easy / straightforward to install.

·
Registered
2006 CRV EX
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess they do now - its for your safety ha! There are also parking brake bypasses. I tried these but thought it was not working - but it may have been. I would try that again but now I got it wired so its good for me. And it isn't so much work - just a couple of screws. I would recommend crutchfield - and by the wiring harness that is already wired up for you for an extra $25 or whatever it is - totally worth it. They give you great instructions tailored for your vehicle and lifetime tech support by super awesome people in Virginia USA.

·
Registered
2006 CRV EX
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get the pre-wired connector like I suggested then it's pretty easy. I think I used a dremel a couple of times - for the mounting of the stereo using the original metal side pieces and then I spent some time on a black plastic piece that surrounds the unit and fills in the gap - dremel and glue and then black paint. It all depends if you are interested in doing it or not. If you don't enjoy that kind of stuff then it will probably not be fun but if you like things like that, problem solving and tinkering and learning to use a dremel then go for it. Otherwise there are lots of stereo installs for around $100 but then you have to buy one of their units for their price. And last time I went to one they were playing a game about some extra part that I confirmed later was not needed...so there are always the games. That's one of the reasons I like to do it myself. Plus then I know how to get in there for any other reason, like getting it out later when I sell the car or for an upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts