Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I have a 2005 Honda CRV and a few months ago the VSA light and the little triangle light with an exclamation mark and the check engine light came on randomly. I was driving on the freeway and my car started bucking because the VSA light and triangle/exclamation mark light and check engine light turned on some kind of governer that throttled my RPMs and made the engine idle very roughly.
I turned the car off and back on, and it was fine for a few more miles and the same thing happened again. I turned the car off again and back on and it was fine for the rest of the hour drive, with the exception of the check engine light being on. The check engine light eventually went off.

Since then, this has started happening regularly. For a while, it was fine for day or weeks, and then all of a sudden, the VSA light and triangle warning light and check engine light would come on, along with an RPM governor. Sometimes it would happen when I'm like stopped at a stop light and the RPMs will fluctuate even at idle and it sounds like it's misfiring. Sometimes the oil light would come on for a second but then always goes away. As soon as I turned the car off and back on again, the VSA/triangle lights are all off and the idle is back to normal. The check engine light would stay on for a few more miles or trips but always turns off. Maybe 2-3 times (out of probably 60+) that I've tried to turn it back on right away it had a little trouble starting, but it always starts.
When the check engine light is on, the codes are:
P2646 and P1009

So the problem got worse and worse over the few weeks to where it would happen basically every time I drove the car, especially when cold. But, generally speaking, once the light came on and then I turned the car off and back on again, it was good for the rest of the day. Maybe sometimes, rarely, the light would come back on, but this did not happen often.

After doing some research and looking up the codes and stuff, I was seeing a lot of suggestions that I clean out the screen on my VVT/VTEC solenoid. I pulled it out and the screen was completely clean, so I just bought a whole new solenoid assembly and installed it along with a fresh oil change. I drove the car for about 50 miles over 3 trips, and normally, the VSA light would have come on 2-3 times over those 3 trips. So I thought, great, it's fixed! Tried to drive today and it was great for 5 miles, and then the VSA light came on. I thought, no big deal, so it's not 100% fixed. I'll just turn the car off and back on. So I did, and the light came right back. Now, after a few trips of 10-20 miles each, it's clear that this light is just on permanently. When I turn the car on, the light immediately comes on, as opposed to before where turning the car off and back on would fix the problem, at least for the day. So changing the oil and replacing the vvt/vtec solenoid made the problem much, much worse. Now when I turn the car on, even without putting it in drive, it idles for about 3 seconds and then the VSA, triangle warning, and check engine light come on. I have fresh 5w20 oil in there, new filter, brand new solenoid....

What else could be causing this issue? It does seem related to that solenoid because an oil change and a new solenoid made thing so much worse, but... now what?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

(video of the lights on and the engine idling rough, from before the oil/solenoid change:
)

Thank you all in advance!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,986 Posts
Are the codes are the same, now?

Do some more searching here or on Google to look for further causes.

You didn't mention how many miles were on your car. If mileage is really high, you might want to go to the next higher weight oil. (5W-30)

Did you install an OEM or aftermarket solenoid? (Another thing to SEARCH)

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,985 Posts
The VSA (vehicle stability assist) light will come on
whenever there is an issue with the engine or brakes
Whether it is the VSA control of the engine and brakes
or if there is something wrong with the engine or brakes.
I seriously doubt that changing the solenoids and oil change did any damage to the engine.
Turning the engine off and then back on is not a permanent solution
to the VSA and check engine light
It only temporarily resets the system. Will have to find the root cause.
Does the engine have misfires? Check the ABS sensors?
If you have a scanner then it would help (not code reader)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi all,
@Carbuff2 I have tried searching and the only things that I see related to those codes is around the VTEC solenoid, which didn't seem to help, which is why I'm turning here. But yes, my car has high miles, and in retrospect, it makes sense that an oil change might cause these issues if the older oil was dirty and now fresh, new oil of too low of a weight might now be causing this issue to be worse.

I'm not sure why I would search OEM vs aftermarket, I used OEM.

@Avisitor I have ABS, but I have not checked the sensors. I'll do that, although I suspect that because the problem got so much worse with a new solenoid and an oil change, it seems more likely to be related to that, but I'll keep ABS sensors in mind!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,862 Posts
Did you buy a Honda solenoid assembly or an after-market? Perhaps the solenoid is bad?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,985 Posts
hi all,

@Avisitor I have ABS, but I have not checked the sensors. I'll do that, although I suspect that because the problem got so much worse with a new solenoid and an oil change, it seems more likely to be related to that, but I'll keep ABS sensors in mind!

Thanks
At first there was a issue with the way the engine was running.
Changing the solenoid and oil seemed to help.
You did not mention if the engine is still having issue running after the part and oil change.
This lead me to believe the engine is running fine and the issue now is the VSA light.
A higher level scanner can check all the modules for codes
and help determine where the issue may be.

·
Registered
03 CRV
778 Posts
hi all,
@Carbuff2 I have tried searching and the only things that I see related to those codes is around the VTEC solenoid, which didn't seem to help, which is why I'm turning here. But yes, my car has high miles, and in retrospect, it makes sense that an oil change might cause these issues if the older oil was dirty and now fresh, new oil of too low of a weight might now be causing this issue to be worse.

The vtec solenoid and the vtec oil pressure switch play a role in P2646, but the engine oil pressure, vtec oil pressure, and wiring/connectors from the ECM to the vtec oil pressure switch are also areas where faults can occur that can set a P2646.

The is an infrequent report of new Honda vtec solenoids having bad vtec oil pressure switches when new. And it is a common occurrence that aftermarket vtec solenoids are bad out of the box, or have early failure rates (within weeks).

The P1009 is related to the VTC, so I doubt that changing the VTEC solenoid would fix the VTC code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hi all,

before I respond to each post individually, I noticed something today that I wanted to run by you all. I was using my phone camera to see behind the engine, and I was going to delete one of the images and ended up zooming in instead just for fun. This was with the solenoid off, so basically looking into the engine. And I was looking into the oil passages that lead into the solenoid, and I can see almost like come cloth or fibers or something inside the passages. Is this normal? I included the original photo and the zoomed in version so you can see the fibers. If they're supposed to be there, some kind of filter or whatever, then great. If not, I'll try to fish them out, but I wanted to confirm that they're not supposed to be there first!

Full View: IMG-5765

Zoomed View: Screen-Shot-2022-05-09-at-11-32-05-AM

EDIT: Looking at my photos again, that was right when I was cleaning the gasket off, and I took a photo <1 minute before that one that didn't have the fibers. I bet what's in the photo is a bit of paper towel that ripped off... how big of a problem is this? Since that photo was taken, I've run the engine for ~20 minutes. If there are bits of paper towel in that top passage and the middle passage (which, it looks like there are), where do they go? Do those passages lead into the engine where the paper towel is unlikely to cause much issue, or do they lead somewhere bad where the paper towel will clog things and cause a huge problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
03 CRV
778 Posts
One hole sends oil into the solenoid, and oil exits out the other two holes. Of the exit holes, one is the return passage when vtec is not requested, and the other passage sends the oil to the rocker arms to activate vtec. Which hole is which I can’t remember. There was someone over at the elementownersclub.com that disassembled a vtec solenoid and then cut it in half to show the solenoid passages.

·
Registered
2005 Honda CRV
60 Posts
My 05 CRV with 171k kms got the p1009 last summer. I took out the VTC solenoid from the engine, passenger side near the belt. I cleaned the screens with brake cleaner, let it dry and reinstalled it. The p1009 hasn't appeared after.

My the VTC screen near the belt pulley was clean as well. I haven't removed/cleaned the VTEC solenoid at the rear of the engine yet.

·
Registered
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
530 Posts
if the screens are clean ,i would check the chain tensioner bolts,i had it happen on a 2006 that the chain was done at a Honda dealer, the 2 bolts 10 mm socket size were about a half turn loose bleeding off oil pressure , i was chasing that problem for 2 months

1 - 11 of 11 Posts