Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CRV EX with all of the following indicator lights on the dash cluster.
ABS
VSA
Traction Control (Triangle with exclamation mark)
Emergency Brake Light
Engine Service Light

The initial problem was a dead battery, replaced battery then all of the indicators illuminated after the battery replacement.
Honda service center stated that ABS module and Dash Cluster\Meter Assembly had a short causing a drain on the battery.

I have replaced the following parts based on service center recommendations.
I have replaced them with used parts from a salvage yard.

78100-S9A-A82 Dash Cluster Meter Assembly.
57110-S9A-A11 VSA \ ABS Module\Pump Assembly

After replacing those two part the issue is still present.

These are the codes that the service center was able to read.

P0340 CMP Sensor A No Pulse
U1102 F-CAN Malfunction (BUS-OFF)
U0122 F-CAN Malfunction ((ECM)/PCM -VSA CONTROL MODULE UNIT)
P0600 SERIAL COMM FAILURE
P2195 HO2S (A\F SENSOR) S1 Signal Stuck Lean

Things that I have done and checked:

1. changed oil & filter
2. Removed and cleaned the VTEC solenoid and screen.
3. Removed battery cable to clear codes. (codes still present)

·
Registered
772 Posts
The initial problem was a dead battery, replaced battery then all of the indicators illuminated after the battery replacement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 1st thought would be, why did the battery go dead ? It's evident the Dealer had no clue what was wrong, since you have replaced all the mentioned parts. I would get some voltage readings directly @ the battery terminals, one with the engine OFF, and second with the engine RUNNING with all accesories OFF. Battery voltage should be 12 volts + -, running should be close to 14.2 volts. If not, it's evident the Alternator is not working. I say this only because I had a very similar problem happen to my Tahoe with no warning other than the BATTERY light came ON, and the TACHOMETER went crazy. The RECTIFIER in the ALTERNATOR shorted out.Replaced the Alternator, problem solved. Good luck, you never know. JMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did more troubleshooting based on your suggestion.
Getting 12 volts from the battery.
Getting 14.3 volts from the alternator with all ACC off.
Getting a fluctuating voltage from ALT\BATT with AC\Blower on High, Headlights on. 14.3 down to 12.9 volts.

My next step is to clean all of the ground cable connections.
Then going to see if I can determine if the alternator is an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it turned out to be the ECU.
The original dash cluster was not defective, the one I bought from the salvage yard was though.
so in the end, a used VSA\ABS, a new battery, and rebuilt\old Dash cluster, new ECU, and a new Cam Position Sensor, $2200 later a working 05 CR-V.
Any idea what the average life\mileage expectancy of a 05 CRV is?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Those initial indications with the dash lights usually indicates a low or fluctuating voltage.
What prompted you to suspect the ECU? Any one thing in particular?
Thanks and it's good to hear you got your CRV fixed. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1 Posts
recently,I had he VSA and brake light on constantly.This can be caused by a few simple things such as low tire pressure in a tire or low brake fluid.The computer merely picks up things had could affect your car's emergency handling.Sure enough,my brake fluid was low and I added about a pint and both lights went off and stayed off.Before panicking and taking the car to the shop,check these simple things first.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
low tire pressure will NOT trip lights beside low pressure warning on dash if vehicle is equiped.

ECM fixed the issue but you have a wiring problem somewhere because the ECU doesnt loose that many circuits like that unless it was shorted out (reversed voltage).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I saw a YouTube video where it turned out the brake light switch was bad and was causing the same problems. Replacing it solved it. It's on there somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts