Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CRV AWD which the rear differential wasn't adequately serviced. I get a lot of vibration when making slow, sharp turns and am starting to get some vibration going down the highway (from the u-joints I suspect). I've seen other threads where folks have just removed the rear drive shaft, but with earlier model CRVs. Can I do this with the 2005 models and just turn it into a 2WD. Is removing the propeller shaft all that is needed?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ran w/o a drive shaft for about a week while waiting for a new one. Drove fine, but there are some machined fittings behind where the shaft fits to the transmission and diff that are obviously not designed to be exposed to the elements. If you are permanently wanting to go 2WD, I would probably at least bolt the end of the u-joint fitting back on, or find some other way to cover those fittings.

BTW, just today I installed a $170 aftermarket drive shaft that is working fine so far. If you remove your old one, drive around, and the issues are gone (isolating the drive shaft as the problem), it can be replaced cheaply, or there are routes to replace the u-joints and center support (if that's bad too) on the stock unit.

·
Registered
772 Posts
for the differential just changing the oil could fix your problem. if you want to make it a 2wd just remove the propeller shaft
Times two on downloader advise. Get yourself 3 feet of clear hose, a funnel, and a quart of ONLY OEM HONDA rear fluid. Jack up the rear of the vehicle, feed the hose to the rear of the left rear tire to fill the differential after draining. Your problem solved. Good luck.
David g............:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts