Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2005 CRV last april and I love it. I should note that when I got my car stereo installed the dude found a mouse nest behind the old radio. Car fax report showed it must have been parked (probably in a barn) for 3 years. The wires behind the radio looked fine but I was worried about potential electrical problems after that. Here's the thing, I average about 25mpg ish, which ive heard about people getting upwards of 30 and naturally with the O2 sensor malfunctioning Im hoping i can get better MPG and simply not have all these codes popping up. The weird thing is although all these codes have popped up(some time after buying the car too, not right away), the car hasnt had any noticable operating issues that might be associated with a failed O2 sensor except the possible less than ideal MPG.

The low down on most recent scan:

P0141 bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit malfunction(this is the one i replaced) for some reason this code showed up twice on the print out
P2422 EVAP CVS stuck closed. This code also showed up twice on the print out
P1078 IMT (IMRC) Valve stuck

I checked the fuse for the O2 sensor and cant seem to find any wiring problems that are evident.
I haven't gotta around to check the connections to the ECM yet as it got late but will do that tomorrow.
Haven't checked the evap unit yet either and will also do that tomorrow.

Here's the gist of what im starting to think is the culprit. Is it possible that the ECM is failing? I found it strange that I had one code, and then almost immediately these other codes. And again replacing the O2 sensor did not resolve the code. After doing a voltage test on the o2 sensor connector with the car "on but not running" it appears there is basically no power being sent to the O2 sensor. I appreciate any incite into this , I haven't even had this car a year and i really dont want all this shit to lead to more problems or damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the codes set right away after you will need to troubleshoot that circut. With signs of rodents I am betting you have wire damage somewhere.It is rare for a Honda pcm to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the codes set right away after you will need to troubleshoot that circut. With signs of rodents I am betting you have wire damage somewhere.It is rare for a Honda pcm to fail.
I've been worried about that since I found that nest, but I didn't have these problems for awhile when i got the car. What doesnt make sense to me is yes there was a rodent nest, but all the wires for the stereo etc weren't chewed or anything. Now i know that doesn't mean much, but if you were a rodent don't you think you'd chew those wires near your nest ? I've inspected as much of the wiring as possible and i can find nno signs of rodent damage. Alternatively, if there had never been rodents in there and it was never a potential factor,would you still say that it's unlikely the PCM is malfunctioning? Oh i forgot to add in my original post that one of the times i got it scanned it threw a code for ABS, no ABS light on though. And once again next time i got it scanned that code was gone and there was some new one for something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what i've read on this forum, a failing ecu will cause these exact kind of problems , i'll even quote a fellow member's response to someone elses similar issues.

"A faulty PCM will do all kinds of random crazy stuff, just about any problem a car could have would happen because of this, but very randomly. Expect random multiple CEL's for no reason, poor fuel mileage/misfire/knock (if the car runs at all). You could also have a fire in there. But most of today's PCM's have no reason to fail, that was a long time ago and electronics are much better. When you mess with them is when you risk trouble. If you burned up some transistors in there it would smell aweful, like burned electronics do."
what he describes sounds like what's happening to me, with all the random codes coming and going. I read that jump starting the car can cause a surge to the ECM which can cause damage to it. Well i've had to jumpstart my car quite a few times because of the old batter. In fact I had to jump it a few days ago and upon entering the car I did notice a strange smell not unlike burned plastic.

As for the rodents, I still find it hard to believe that they caused all this. With the random CEL's popping up for various systems of the car, then some dissappearing , and others appearing it just doesnt seem like some wires simply got chewed, especially since I can find any evidence anywhere of damaged wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts