Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sell my 2005 CRV-EX AWD. I've had several people say the waterpump and the timing belt should be changed by this point. My research indicates that there is no timing belt - it is a timing chain and doesn't require replacement unless there is a problem and there is no problem. I'm coming up with less info on the waterpump thing. I have barely used the air conditioner and the car has never lived in a winter climate. Do I need to adjust my price because I haven't replaced the waterpump? I am using the Kelley Blue Book resale value (good to very good) and carfax adjusted my price upwards. Where cars are concerned I'm just a dumb girl which I why I buy Honda's and maintain them regularly.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
1997 - 2001 had a timing belt. The water pump is driven off the timing belt and you basically have to do the same labor for either, so it is advisable to do the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. In 2002 they changed to a timing chain and the belt no longer became a maintenance item.

I would think then you wouldn't mess with the water pump unless there was an issue with your old one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 to Shryp

The water pump is not regular maintenance item for any vehicle. Like Shryp said, the water pump is driven off the belt, and for $40-$50 for a new water pump, it is worth it to replace since they are there. Otherwise, you only would replace the pump if there is something wrong, same with the timing chain (timing chains usually outlast the car!)

If I were you, I would stick to the KBB and wait for someone to give you that (unless you are in a rush to sell) because a Honda with 114k is still worth a good bit of money and someone will pay for it

·
Registered
1 Posts
my manual for my 97 said to change the water pump and timming belt at 150,000 i have done that twice and just because i service my vehicle so it lasts for ever. i have over 400,000 on mine and it still purrs like a kitten.
I also have a 2007 and i do see in this manual that there is nothing about changing the timing belt or chain.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,473 Posts
Don't let 'em talk you down on the water pump thing. There is no mention of WP failures that I remember, on 2002+ Vs (when the K series engine with the timing chain was introduced).

You do NOT sound like a "dumb girl" to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The next time someone tries to talk down to you about the timing belt, turn it around and make them look like a fool for saying your CRV has one. "Even a non-tech person like me knows these haven't had a timing belt since year 2001 so let's stop trying to find non-existant nit-picks and make me an offer that is worthy for this great CRV." Then pull out KBB valuation sheet when they low ball you (I think KBB is overpriced but use that to your advantage). That will put them on the back foot ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts