Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Nothing new for CRV's. The oil consumption. I have questions about it.
1. How to verify what cause that, my engine is not leaking.
2. What to do about it?
3. I'm planning to buy a used engine from a junk yard for about $800 and fix it, and replace the one in my CRV.
a. What do you thing about this idea?
b. Is it worth to do it? (DIY)
c. Is the price $800 OK?
d. Would you please share any opinions, experiences, advice's etc., please?
Of course, the best idea is to get new vehicle. However, I don't thing so.
Any thing would be helpful.
What do you think?

Thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure how much oil consumption you’re talking about. A rough idea of how worn an engine is for me personally, do a compression test. You might want to follow up with a leak down test or other test depending on what You find on the compression test. Might just check your coolant too.

what you want to do about it is up to you. If I had a head gasket leak leading to random misfires and constant overflow of the coolant reservoir, I’d replace the engine, if I were dealing with a “worn engine” and I lost a qt every 5k, I might just do 5k oil changes And see how long it’ll live.

I think you can do only slightly better, maybe around $650 for a used engine (around Los Angeles), $800 isn’t an obnoxious price. There should still be a good supply oh Honda k24 engines, with all the accords having the same engine around. I recently got one from JDM of California (JDM of California – Used Japanese engines, transmissions and parts. Directly imported from Japan.). Depending on what you find, the other option is having the engine rebuilt. Used engine, more parts cost. Rebuild, more labor cost.

Best idea depends on what the condition of your crv is, and your emotional state. If the car is fine except for the engine, an engine replacement is very reasonable. If you need to do all the suspension work and more ...., don’t forget your emotional state though. Do you love this car, or does driving it make you feel like you’re dating the evil ex girlfriend?

EdIt - 5qt every 1000miles is significant to me. If there’s no external leak like you said, I would be curious to see if it were leaking internally vs. blowing smoke out the tailpipe all the time. Then I’d make a decision. Maybe you’ve already made the decision Without needing to know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like this car, that is why I'm thinking about engine replacement.
I want to buy used engine and rebuild it and use it.
If someone would tell me what possibly cause oil consumption.
One of the problem is; the rings for oil are stock and not working. I have to verify that first.
But, how?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, with your amount of oil consumption and want to, it does seem like an engine replacement would be appropriate. Your $800 used engine price is reasonable as long as you can get it from a reputable source.

heres a link I found on google that discusses causes of oil consumption: Understanding How Engines Consume Oil

when i first suggested a compression test and leak down test, those were decent bits of information for me to decide on how I would personally proceed. However your 5qts or loss in 1000 miles is very significant enough for me to say, if it’s not leaking externally or internally (head gasket leak), then no matter if the oil consumption is from the piston rings or valves (or all of them) to me it doesn’t matter and I’d replace the engine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
@truefan31

Usually people complain about oil consumption as an “issue” in newer vehicles During the break in period, suggesting a manufacturing defect or an engineering error.

since this is a 2005 vehicle we’re talking about, it could have 500,000 miles on it. Or perhaps maintenance has been had been neglected along the way at one time. He is probably dealing with an end of life engine.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
5 qts in 1000 miles and OP says how do you tell if its leaking vs consuming, pretty concerning there.

5qts every 1000k that thing has to be leaking a lot unless it is smoking so bad it leaves a fog behind it out the tail pipe. This isnt going to be something that does show where that much oil is going.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@truefan31
He is probably dealing with an end of life engine.
The vehicle has 150K and, if this is the end of life that means HONDA is is junk.

5qts every 1000k that thing has to be leaking a lot unless it is smoking so bad it leaves a fog behind it out the tail pipe. This isnt going to be something that does show where that much oil is going.

It is not smoking bad, only when the engine is cold.

I'm planning to see the pistons using inspection camera.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Camera as you call it will do nothing. Cant see anything that matters, only things a camera will show is broken pistons, valves hitting pistons etc. Only things that will cause serious misfires or engine not to run at all.

Smoking at cold start could be a number of things. Oil rings being bad, valve guide seals.

You need to look around for oil leaks before anything. That much oil has to be leaving more than cold start smoking (which is common for Hondas due to guide seals with higher mileage, consumption is 1at about 1500 miles at that point)

150k motor being bad wouldn't be Hondas faultx would be lack of proper care/maintenance during the life of the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@truefan31

Usually people complain about oil consumption as an “issue” in newer vehicles During the break in period, suggesting a manufacturing defect or an engineering error.

since this is a 2005 vehicle we’re talking about, it could have 500,000 miles on it. Or perhaps maintenance has been had been neglected along the way at one time. He is probably dealing with an end of life engine.
I have a 2004 crv with 225000 miles on it. No oil consumption. So I was surprised to hear of this issue on a 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
Do these crvs have an oil consumption issue? I haven’t heard of it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how you define "oil consumption issue"

From Honda's perspective.... losing a quart between regular oil changes in some of the earlier generation CRVs is considered normal. Worst I ever saw though was about 1/2 quart in 7K miles in my gen2 CRV.

But what the original poster is presenting is a big issue.. so my guess is the internals of the engine are compromised.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see everyone is surprise. OK.
There is nothing on my driveway.
Is it possible that the engine is loosing (leaking) the oil while driving?

With the camera I want to look at the top of pistons. If I see that there is a lot of clog, it means, the engine is burning oil.

My CRV was serviced at honda dealer until it got 100k.
When I said the technician that my CRV is taking 1qt every 1000 miles he said "That is normal"
However, It doesn't matter now. I need to find out what is wrong and fix it. That's why I have started this conversation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Roman - you have a serious oil leak somewhere, and if the dealership was servicing it, they should have seen it. Do not change the engine until you find the leak. I owned a 2002 Nissan Maxima. The engines were legendary for performance, but they just ate a quart of oil between oil changes. I learned to live with it. 5 qts/1000 miles is going to be a very stupid problem, and I am surprised by nothing under the car. Any decent mechanic should be able to find this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts