Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my used CRV a few weeks ago, and when test driving I didnt notice anything weird with the AC. Since then, we've had some really hot days down south which seems to have exacerbated the problem. I'm trying to find out the name of the part I'm pointing to in the photos (the one with the line on it). When the AC is off, its stationary; but when the AC is on, it jiggles/knocks back and forth. I've noticed that the gap between it and the part with the arrow on it has grown in the past week (a few mm at most).
Also when driving I'll notice the AC skips a beat, the RPMs rev up, the car feels like its coughing for less than a second, then goes back to normal. Itll happen consistently if it's really hot out.

I've read up now on how horrible these ACs can be and according to the car fax, the compressor was replaced 7 years or 90K miles ago.

I'm hoping I can find a simple solution without replacing the whole system.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

UPDATE
From looking at different diagrams, I'm finding that the part is the serpentine belt tensioner which is confusing me even more because only the AC on is making it to move back and forth.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,058 Posts
The A/C compressor loads the serpentine belt a LOT when it is engaged.

Reactions: johnnybravo25

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The A/C compressor loads the serpentine belt a LOT when it is engaged.
I'll just go ahead and replace it along with the belt, because I have no idea if the belt has ever been changed, and I can't imagine that the tensioner is any good if it's moving in any circumstance.

Think that's a good call?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,058 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.

I've had issues with non-Honda tensioners, from early failures to binding out-of-the-box. One Fit tensioner was installed 3 times before I got the bugs out.

PS: The tensioners are spring loaded, so they DO move around under normal circumstances. (Unlike traditional 'fixed' tensioners, which rely on belt flutter to absorb vibrations) The arrow indicates the maximum amount of safe 'stretch' as the belt ages.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,058 Posts
The tension on your belt is well within acceptable range.
Agreed.

The OP's worry was the amount of movement ONLY when the A/C compressor was engaged.

I've replaced my CR-Vs serpentine belt (at around 120K miles, just as Good Practice) but the OEM tensioner is still good at 188K miles. If the tensioner bearing is making noise, replace it. (Might need a mechanic's stethoscope to hear.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could an excessive movement of the tensioner movement (enough to cause intermittent "coughing" of the motor) caused by abnormal high torque of the AC compressor be an early sign of impending compressor failure? Excess torque caused by internal friction caused by damage to the scrolls and the presence of metal shavings in the compressor body? Does the AC system work as well as it always did? What are pressures on the low and high sides relative to normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey yall,

Been spending the last week dealing with my partner's car, so mine was put on the back burner. For the meanwhile I've just been driving without A/C, because the last time I did, the clunking sound happened and I've read too many horror stories of people looking in the rear view to see their clutch lying in the road.

I was talking to a mechanic and he was under the impression it could just be a bad clutch. If the compressor was faulty wouldn't I notice a change in A/C quality too?

I'm going to try and recreate it in the driveway in the coming days with the compressor in view to see if I can see anything which could be the cause, and I'll report back then.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts