Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Let me start this by telling you that the CRV we are talking about belongs to my daughter, who is away at college. I went out there this weekend to try to fix it and no luck. Here's the details:

1. For the last month or so, had intermittent issues starting. Engine would turn over normal, just not want to start. She got it home a couple weeks ago and I cleaned up the battery terminals and all seemed to be well.

2. Thursday, she parked the car at the dorms as usual, and 2 or 3 hours later, it won't even turn over.

3. I went out there yesterday and the first thing that I did was pull the battery and take it to Auto Zone to test. It tested bad. Got a new one and installed it. No change.

More Specifics: When you turn the key, you can hear several relays engage (by main fuse box, and under throttle body/by starter).

4. Then pulled the starter and took it to Auto Zone to be tested. It tested good. Reinstalled, ensured all connections. No change.

5. Replaced ignition switch. No change.

6. Visually inspected fuses, they all look good. Swapped some relays around to see if the problem would follow/change, no luck.

HELP!!

Something that I noticed today, but too late because I had to head home:

Put key in ignition and turned to attempt start. within the gauge cluster, the "P" indicator for park illuminated, as normal, but then the "D" indicator along with "D3" to the side came ("P" still on too) on for about 5 seconds and then went off. I've never noticed that before so I don't know if it's normal or not.

Could there be some fault where it won't turn over because it doesn't realize that it's in park? Is there a component that can be changed out to test this theory?

I have also tried to start it in neutral. I have cycled the gear shift with the key turned on. No change.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
When was the last time it had a tune up? It might need new spark plugs. Idk if that year has a distributor or not, but if it does that could be the cause too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would check the alternator. If it does not put out enough volts then the battery will discharge.
I'm sure others with more experience can add other ideas of what else to check.

Hope you can get this resolved.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Did you tried to boost it? with the negative clamp of the donor car to the body ground? Do you have another key? When you turn it in the ON position did you notice the Green Key symbol on the dash goes away? When you had the starter checked did you saw it being check & that the starter spun while they checked it? Let us know. Was anything done before this happened?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing new done before this happened... Green light is on... have tried both keys...

Have tried to boost it, but negative of donor car was not to ground. I did watch them test it, but I can't be sure that it spun.

Thanks for the suggestions: as for the alternator, I thought of that, but there was no change even with a brand new battery. Even if the alternator was bad, I would think it would at least turn over with a new battery. Could spark plugs really cause a no start? I know it could, but the engine would at least turn over, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A random addition: about 2 weeks ago, she lost her key. This was the key used daily for 2 years. We took her spare up to her and all was well.... until last Friday when all this happened. Since then, she has found the lost key, and it still won't start. IF the backup key caused this, could the car now just need to be "recoded" or whatever the dealer does? Even though the original key has been found? That would be great if that was the case because that's a $90 fix action at the dealer. Already called and asked...

As of right now, I will not have another chance to get out there to it until Saturday morning. Going to try a few last ditch efforts before having it towed. Just don't know if I'm towing it to a dealer for a key reset, or to a shop for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Nothing new done before this happened... Green light is on... have tried both keys...

Have tried to boost it, but negative of donor car was not to ground. I did watch them test it, but I can't be sure that it spun.

Thanks for the suggestions: as for the alternator, I thought of that, but there was no change even with a brand new battery. Even if the alternator was bad, I would think it would at least turn over with a new battery. Could spark plugs really cause a no start? I know it could, but the engine would at least turn over, wouldn't it?
I thought it was turning over but just not starting. If it's turning over but not starting it could be spark plugs. Otherwise it's probably the starter. Even if it bench tested as a good starter, those tests aren't always accurate. I had a starter on my old Jeep test as good, but I always had intermittent starting problems. I changed the starter and everything was good.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with Coastie05. Sometimes they will pass the bench test but will still fail to start. Have you checked for voltage at the solenoid terminal while someone cranks the key to start position. Another way is to use a jumper from the starter big terminal to the solenoid while the key is in the ON position. Be careful in doing this. Also this model has a planetary type of starter that will produce a different type of symptoms compared to the conventional type of starter if the starter is bad, you will not hear any clicking sound. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

You are right if the alternator is bad, it will still start or turn over. I am sure that its not the Immobilizer.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Still could be a weak battery (even new one not fully charged) or bad connections at the battery, frame, or starter.
Buffalo4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts