Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our sister's '05 automatic with 150K miles had a noise that sounded to her husband like a serpentine belt idler or tensioner. It wasn't, and the noise wasn't the water pump or alternator, either.

It turned out to be a damaged crankshaft pulley (see pictures). The woodruff key wore in its slot and eventually caused an largish oil leak from the front main seal. The crank pulley broke as a result of prying it off the crank.

For now, its been put back together with a new pulley and seal, but they are worried about longevity. The damaged groove in the crank has been 'dressed', but it is only holding position by about half of it's original length.

SO, the question is, Is there any way to reliably repair the crank in the car? This is a Japan-built engine so it is a bit on the rare side, even if they try to find a junkyard engine from an '05 or '06.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Nothing you can do about the crank. Biggest thing is to make sure the crank bolt is tightened down all the way.

Also check all pulleys, make sure they are running smooth and true. Either something else is failing or more likely the crank pulley was removed at some point and bolt not tightened near enough.

Also watch the crank while running. Make sure it looks ok. Not wobbling as a bad main bearing can cause these issues too. But biggest chance of issue was bolt wasnt tightened enough or too much drag from another pulley.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crank pulley is said to be running 'true', I asked that too. I should mention that the B-I-L law is a manager at a tire store so they had pros working on it.

biggest chance of issue was bolt wasn't tightened enough or too much drag from another pulley.
I thought the first cause is most likely. But, "What is past, is past".

I know that the engines of other makers' can have issues like this, but I never heard of it on the 2.4 K engine.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The ones that have larger harmonic balancer it's common when the damper goes bad. This is a first on a k series for me as well which to me screams the bolt came loose unless something was binding or a bad main bearing which any tech worth a pay check would have found as soon as new pulley went on.

I wouldn't stress too much over it if engine sounds ok. The pulsar ring didnt spin so it wasnt that bad (pick up ring for crank sensor inside timing cover). Those things can break just tanking the pulley off.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't stress too much over it if engine sounds ok.
My sister's worry is that she would be stranded. ?

If that crank gear key works loose again, would there be a warning 'noise' indication?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ya sounds like an engine knock basically. VERY NOTICEABLE sound when one comes loose as well as vibrations at idle that arent normal

Shouldnt leave her stranded I wouldn't think. Wouldnt be a bad idea to have them pull the valve cover and check the timing chain make sure it hasnt "stretched" too much.

As I mentioned, seen plenty that arent even keyed like mine wasnt, as long as they tightened the hell out of the bolt she should be fine at least in that regard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts