Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am new to the forum and have a problem with my 2005 CRV headlights - not so shocking given the number of threads dealing with headlights.

This one is new to me - my passenger side headlights - high and low - do not come on when I twist the switch. I've found that if I put on the high beams for about 15 seconds - I get the passenger side high beams to come on and then when I turn the high beams off the passenger side low beam is working again. Therefore, no a bad bulb, some other voodoo.

Looking for suggestions on what to look at / for?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Did you buy the CRV new or just recently?
Perhaps the connector to the bulb is corroded or not tight. At least remove and reconnect the connector several time to burnish the connection surfaces.
Might be a poor ground also. Each headlight has it's own ground point
Might even remove and inspect the bulb but do NOT get your fingerprints on the bulb as the oil on them could cause the bulb to crack when hot.
You didn't say if the Driver's side headlight worked or not. I am assuming it does.
The right side headlight has a fuse , Fuse 17 (20A) in the Primary Under the Hood Fuse box. I don't know if this yr also has a relay controlling each headlight. If so, switch relays and see if the problem follows.
Fuse locations etc are located on pages 240-241 in your Owner's manual.
It could also be a bad ground for the headlight (each headlight has a separate ground, I believe).
You need to find a circuit diagram for you yr and model CRV. On a 2000 CRV the ground was G201 but I don't know the physical position.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

I am the sole owner of the CRV from 2005 to present.

You are correct - the driver's side is completely functional. The problem is limited to the passenger side.

The fuse and bulbs look good.

The connectors look to be a bit worn from age but no observable faults (scorch marks or corrosion).

I'll find the wiring diagram for the relay and ground point.

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
That's a weird one. any aftermarket lights using the headlights as triggers? I'm al thinking about worn relays, switches etc

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Thank you for the information.

I am the sole owner of the CRV from 2005 to present.

You are correct - the driver's side is completely functional. The problem is limited to the passenger side.

The fuse and bulbs look good.

The connectors look to be a bit worn from age but no observable faults (scorch marks or corrosion).

I'll find the wiring diagram for the relay and ground point.
If you can, just unplug and reconnect that headlight plug several times.
If that doesn't help, I think you need to find out where that 'ground' is.
Basically it sounds like a high resistance to current flow, somewhere.\
Frayed wires near the connector? Needs to be checked.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Dont assume ground. Honda likes to use the relay to control ground to the lights, not the power.

There is no separate relay or fuse for each side. It's one for low and one for high.

Since issue is on one side the problem is the bulb, connector or the wiring to that specific connector only.

Just because a bulb looks ok means nothing. Thay is the first place I would start is the bulb.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts