Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I ran out of gas and restarted it several times until there absolutely no more gas at all so it wouldn't start any more as I continued to roll in neutral to the gas station. Where I then added gas. Now my car won't stay running it keeps dieing shortly after I start to drive will run just fine in park that is if it start at all though. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't turn on when I turn the key.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Running out of gas in today's cars can cause a number of issues. As otto888man said, first try to eliminate any air pockets in the lines. Then, over the years sediment builds up in the bottom of a fuel tank, composed of particles of dirt, sand, rust, and/or any number of things that come out of underground fuel tanks at gas stations. When you run all the way empty that stuff is sucked up into the lines, so your fuel filter might be clogged up and need to be replaced. Fuel is used to lubricate the fuel pump, so running out of gas runs the pump dry, at which time it is operating without lubrication, and can be damaged. Also, on a high mileage car, this event can easily be enough to end the life of an older, worn fuel pump. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: strimby

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried CV cycling the key same thing. Sometimes then after several times the pump wouldn't kick on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • OK is there a way to clean a filter. Which from what I think I understand, is a mesh strainer on the inlet to the pump. I'm not sure though??Or 05 CR-V have both???

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
I agree with Kloker it sounds like running the pump dry has ended its life.

Looks as if access is under the back seat, good news is you don't need to drop the tank.
Don't think your going to find any solution short of just replacing the fuel pump.

Could possibly try to a small dose of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in the gas to possibly provide some lubricity and keep the pump working, but even if it does run it will probably just leave you stranded very soon - I would advise to replace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MMO huh well I'm sure you guys are probably right I just can't afford a new fuel pump heck even a used one right now.I was just hope for it to be something else, I guess .... Thanks for everyone's input.. Hey out curiosity would blowing in the outlet of an electric fuel pump cause a problem, would you then need .....??

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
MMO huh well I'm sure you guys are probably right I just can't afford a new fuel pump heck even a used one right now.I was just hope for it to be something else, I guess .... Thanks for everyone's input.. Hey out curiosity would blowing in the outlet of an electric fuel pump cause a problem, would you then need .....??
I have been there and I know the feeling. I hope you are able to get it sorted out and I am sorry to hear of the problems

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
To answer your question about blowing in the outlet I am not sure of the impact positive or negative.

The main issues fuel pumps face when run out of gas is that fuel acts as both a lubricant and cooling agent for the electric pumps. So they tend so start to overheat when run dry or near dry, then when cold gas is added to a hot fuel pump it shocks the pump as they go through a extreme thermal swing of hot to cold in a matter of seconds.

Gas being stored underground is often much colder than the ambient temperatures, so while it may be 70* outside gas is often much cooler.

·
Registered
205 Posts
  • OK is there a way to clean a filter. Which from what I think I understand, is a mesh strainer on the inlet to the pump. I'm not sure though??Or 05 CR-V have both???
You can't clean the filters on it because the one on the bottom is merely a mesh screen filter and the one near the top of the fuel pump module is the actual fuel filter. I doubt the filters are clogged with debris just because you emptied the tank. Everyone always says that running the tank dry is why you clog filters; think about it, the pickup mesh screen is at the bottom of the tank where any sediment would be so whether the tank is low or full the sediment is right there at the pump mesh filter. Same goes with water in the tank, water is at the bottom where the pump pickup is so if you have water in the tank, it matters not how much fuel is in the tank because gasoline floats above the water and the pump will suck the water first which is at the bottom of the tank. No, by the sound of it (or lack thereof) he probably killed his fuel pump by running it empty. I've always cautioned my family members to fill the tank when it gets down to 1/4 tank or so. Why? As someone clearly pointed out, not only does the gasoline lubricate the pump, but it also cools the pump so if the fuel tank gets too low, the pump will run a little hotter. Also, keeping more than 1/4 tank of gas is nice because you never know when something comes up and you have to go somewhere that's further than 1/4 tank will take you and you have no time to stop and fill gas in an emergency.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Were you intentionally made your V run out of gas?
I wouldn't do it. :(
When the low fuel indicator lit, I think we can drive for another 75 miles. That's enough to pull over and fill it up.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
Our '06 turns on the LOW FUEL indicator lamp with 1.5 US gallons remaining. (~45 miles at my typical MPG)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. Everything in moderation agreed unfortunately sometimes that's money so some days I put gas and still don't get the light to shut off. But that besides the point or perhaps that's preciously why it would be like it is .if it was the fuel pump unfortunately w/o car running it makes it really hard to go do the jobs I normally do. But gives me more time for trying to figure this out . Because it made since that I burned up my pump .. And CR-V no longer starts and the pump doesn't either unless I hooked the pump up direct it runs then the CR-V still doesn't.But the pump does .. so I checked fuse again (good) I checked relays (good) ,checked wire harness to fuel pump(bad no power)changed both relays and fuse still nothing checked fuel injectors for power since 1 of the relays (Main Relay) powers them also fuel injectors( good all get power). Checked for spark at plugs (bad no spark). I have located both the cam&crank sensors I haven't tested them not sure if I know how..? Please what do you guys think am I on the right track or.... Any suggestions on how to find out whats wrong and fix my problem now that I have more info for you. Maybe y'all have more for me. Thanks again I really need and appreciate your input thoughts and advice .

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
If the pump runs with 12V directly connected, is it pumping gas then? If so,

If the pump DOESN'T run with ignition (even initially) you might still have bad relays. (They can CLICK but not provide current) Also check the relay connectors where the relay plugs in...sometimes the connectors push in and don't complete the circuit.

If the pump runs initially but not with the engine cranking, it's time to suspect the sensors. The one time we had a bad crank sensor on a Civic it was intermittent...had to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did change the two sensors but didn't check the connections. How do I do that? Tryed to find out on internet , but to no prevail. No matter how I asked as soon as I said anything about a relay that's all it will show me, is how to test a relay. How about the sensor too, if you or anyone reading knows.F YI (Actually I am learning and doing all these electrical test but I Am freaked out by electricity... So on that note I need instructions like a newbie to the subject & the easier version that you know please but will do 50k volt test if I gotta. Once again Thanks for your input.! !

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
does the green key flash on the dash while cranking? the relays your referring to is the 2 PGM-FI left and behind the glove compartment ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
  • Does anyone know what the wiring diagram for those two relays is?The 2 PGM relays can't find it on line so I joined wiring library they bypass all the relays in glovebox they have things in their schematics that I know go to those relays but they don't put going to or coming from or any mention at all of relays or fuel pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you believe that . I thought even though I looked over every diagram on a2005 Honda CR-V thought I must have missed it so I called I didn't miss it. ....anyway you have me curious what the grn key means is that the immobiliser if it's not flashing.?? Cause I was just also trying to find out what happens (on instrument panel)if it's activated. Once again not finding that yet.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
If the key icon isn't flashing, its the immobilizer anti-theft system. I've heard of those failing once or twice...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts