Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just joined this forum to ask for help, im desperate, tottally gutted.

Today, after owning this car for a week, my right hand side rear upper wishbone snapped totally off from the subframe, wheel was nearly at 45 degrees, ive been given a price of £200 second hand subframe from a breakers, i will have to swap the subframe on axle stands outside my mums house, how hard is this going to be and what will i have to do, i have been a mechanic for years but decided to get into telehandler driving on a building site, just lost my job because i cant get there now and they instantly replaced me.

Sorry to bother everyone but im totally lost here, spent all my money on this car, looked so good, loads of service history, looked ok underneath, couldnt see these mounting points because the wheels were on, checked the other side today and that side has started to bend its that rusty.

Thanks - Joe

·
Registered
2007 EX-L with Navigation.
593 Posts
Joe, since this only about greetings and introductions you need to move your question to problems and issues. Or possibly 2nd generation. There are plenty of people here who can help you. Take care

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This will be a major undertaking. It will require a lot of grinding and welding, and the fuel tank is nearby, so there's that. It will also likely require some fabrication of steel plate, t o replace areas and/or parts that are too damaged. And, last but not least, it will require a way to achieve perfect alignment of the whole thing in order for it to all work correctly. It's really difficult to tell from just the one picture, but it looks pretty bad. Any fasteners (nuts and bolts and brackets) that need replacing may have to be destroyed to get them off, so you'll need to be able to get new ones. It all depends on how difficult it is to get the old stuff off and the condition of the replacement setup, as well as the condition of the areas around the attachment points for it all.

Moving to Suspensions section.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it private sale through ebay, said it was a great car, reliable, no problems, had loads of service history, first thing that happened on the motorway on the way back home was a SHOCKING vibration under acceleration from 60-75mph the worst ive ever felt as a mechanic, turns out reading posts, its the drive shafts at the front, ive had my friend machine me some 6mm spacers to push the CV joints inwards to prevent this, as £355 on new driveshafts in not do able for me at the moment, I am going picking a second hand subframe up tomororw from a jap breakers, which before installing i am having my friend check and brace as he is a fabricator/welder, and ill grind it all back with my wire brush grinder attachment and paint to prevent any further corrosion.

Thanks all - Joe

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Be sure to keep us posted on how this is going. These are good cars, so if it can be rescued you will have nice ride. How many mil;es does it have on it now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure to keep us posted on how this is going. These are good cars, so if it can be rescued you will have nice ride. How many mil;es does it have on it now?
A dizzying 185,000 i ran my civic until it had done 225,000 miles, the turbo finally went, got a new turbo, never had chance to fit it because the sump finally rubbed through on my bumpy lane i live on, its 2 miles long and once the sump holed.. i filled the engine up with 75/90 gearbox oil, and drove it to manchester where i had it towed and scrapped, then got myself this CRV beauty LOL

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Well, hopefully the CR-V has more ground clearance!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I bought it private sale through ebay, said it was a great car, reliable, no problems, had loads of service history, first thing that happened on the motorway on the way back home was a SHOCKING vibration under acceleration from 60-75mph the worst ive ever felt as a mechanic, turns out reading posts, its the drive shafts at the front, ive had my friend machine me some 6mm spacers to push the CV joints inwards to prevent this, as £355 on new driveshafts in not do able for me at the moment, I am going picking a second hand subframe up tomororw from a jap breakers, which before installing i am having my friend check and brace as he is a fabricator/welder, and ill grind it all back with my wire brush grinder attachment and paint to prevent any further corrosion.

Thanks all - Joe
You were taken. They knew what they were dumping on you. I don't know what the law allows for recourse in the UK, in a private seller situation. I would investigate further.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously PISSED off.... If someone now tells me, that other year subframes fit on this model of CRV... just spent £80 on a rusty shit hole of a subframe, just because it had the top mounts on it, when a friend of mine is like "2011 doesent look too disimilar" could have got one of those in almost new condition for that price....

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Not totally sure about over there, but here all 2002-2006 (Gen 2) should be the same. If it has the same body style, it should be the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as you can see, the right side snapped off (uk) and the left side was bent as a mess... Stronger than the whole subframe now these mounts!

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Dang! That was pretty serious! Looks like you fixed it the right way! Very nice work. After seeing all that I think I'd check under the front too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AGHHHHH front wishbone bushes have gone now, one went this morning then another one on the other side, ordered a full set, thought these cars were GOOD?!?!?! hahaha

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
I had a similar experience with my '97 Jeep Cherokee 2-door (rare!) 5-sp. manual trans, 4.0L. It was a very rare and hard to find vehicle, so I jumped on it knowing it had rust issues that came with the New Hampshire plates. I would up completely replacing the entire brake system and much of the suspension. But it was worth it, and I seriously enjoyed owning it after the work was done. The whole project was not cheap, and I was okay with that. So I recommend you do the work and then just enjoy the car. You'll get a lot of satisfaction from a job well done. Be sure to keep us posted on progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, Ive ordered the bushes, will drive totally different when ive done them, all old and worn and cracked and blown haha desperate for SOMEONE to get back to me from ebay regarding a stage 1 remap file.... No one responds, other than celtic tuning who want £125 +Vat for one.... Cant offord that, got sent 4gb of files with my remap tool, absolutely mental, 124,000 files to choose from... none labeled sensibly, i cant get ECM Titanium to work on windows at all, and i cant install XP to save my life... So im gonna have to wait for funds, unless someone on here has a file they can send me?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts