Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Is this a sign of a failing transmission? I have a 2005 Honda CRV LX (Made in Japan), pretty sure it is 5AT (how do I know for sure if it is 5AT?)

It has 285,000 KM or 177,000 Miles on it. The fluid was checked by a mechanic and the quality and the levels of it are fine.
There is NO check engine light and the car has been very well maintained. All fluids regularly changed within Honda specified recommendations. It has been looked after well.

The RPM spikes on the upshift and kicks the car into "overdrive feel" when I am NOT flooring the gas.

Can you take a look at this video I made of it today and give me your thoughts?

For my vehicle, what kind of transmission do I need? I saw someone selling a transmission in my area for a 2006 Honda CRV LX, would that work?

I tried to post a video but this forum won't let me. Basically, the RPM spikes up to 5000 around 40 - 50 km/hr kicking the car into overdrive for a moment. It feels like it jerks forward.

Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It says I need to have a post count before I can insert a link which is a bit ridiculous because the video I have is relevant to the problem and would make it easier for people reading what I posted to accurately reply to.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
The post count requirement serves to keep spammers away. But WELCOME.

North American Vs all had 5 speed automatics for their 2.4L engines in 2005 and 2006 model years. Not sure about other jurisdictions that used the 2.0L motor.

Is the transmission slipping only when it is shifting gears? Or during constant driving? (As if the torque converter is locking and un-locking)

Have you owned the car since new? How often have you changed the ATF? (You or a mechanic cannot evaluate Honda fluid via smell as with old-time American ATF) Have you always used Honda fluid? The answers all affect shift quality.

If your coolant thermostat is stuck somewhat open, the dash gauge could read Normal but the ECU could think the engine is not warmed up, and will not lock the torque converter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems to slip usually between 30 - 40 km/hr and 90 - 100 km /hr . Always used honda ATF, replaced it according to recommendations at the dealership. This vehicle is very well maintained. It doesn't always happen, but often enough. The rpm spikes high when accelerating from a stop. It "kicks forward with a jerk" for a second.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to a transmission shop and they said the transmission is worn and needs a general rebuild. $2800.

The reason the engine light is not coming on is because the electrical system is doing it's job properly, but the parts within the transmission are worn.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
After looking at your video the other day, that seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I went to a transmission shop and they said the transmission is worn and needs a general rebuild. $2800.

The reason the engine light is not coming on is because the electrical system is doing it's job properly, but the parts within the transmission are worn.
Are there any stored DTC codes? This may sound silly, just to be doubly sure before putting down any money, it may be worth checking for any stored fault codes if not done already.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's a huge rev flare, not just a few hundred rpm associated with unlocking the torque converter. It even seems to be a bigger flare than a downshift.

Hard to tell from the video, but does it flare when accelerating, and at normal shift points? Or flare at steady cruise?

That big flare may be due to a clutch pack not engaging, or slow hydraulics that pressurize the clutch.

My wife's 400 000 km 1999 CRV throws a fine positive shift, but Honda is an engine maker first, and the rest of the car is just an excuse to make engines. Especially their slush boxes.

Good luck with the fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts