Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm here to compare notes and learn about my car that is having a mid life crisis. Her name is Babe and we've been through a lot together. Best get right to the point in case the best pair of eyes to help me see this post: Her current problem, not my car in the video, but definitely the same working noise happening under acceleration. I've been researching the issue for 3 months and have read transmission vacuum hose and modulator, drive shaft, ilder, and a host of other problems. I recently replaced the driver's side CV joint axle assembly, sensor and ball joint, and the transmission fluid (no metal shavings on the magnetic plug).

If you would be so kind as to watch the video and take a listen to the whirring noise that starts happening on acceleration after the 0:0:11 mark, and let me know what you think I'd be very grateful.

https://youtu.be/aj5tGrICoYk

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The Automatic Belt Tensioner Pulley and/or the Drive Belt Idler Pulley are possibly two sources of noise coming from the engine compartment. Worth checking out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Jimbob 15 has good pointers. It sounds like a whirring bearing. Can you recreate the sound in neutral? If it's coming from the engine bay. Most likely it's one of the bearing. How's the power steering fluid level? You might need to remove the serpentine belt then manually turn the pulleys one at a time be sure that you make note the routing of the belt. Just to give you a heads up it'll be tight in there. Let us know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thank you so much for the speedy replies and great ideas of places to check. My power steering fluid is low, it's on the list of 'flush and replace' that I'm doing in the spring.

I will also check out the serpentine belt, tensioner and wheels. Unfortunately our transverse engines do make that serpentine belt kind of a pain to work on. I will likely be replacing that in the spring as well. I have access to this cool modded stethoscope that my boyfriend's dad has. It has a rod on the end instead of that little flat amplifier bit like a Doctor has. You can touch the rod to a wheel, pulley or bearing housing and it amplifies the sound so you can hear a broken bearing more easily! Obviously I would do this manually with the engine off, and belt off, but I'm pretty excited to try it out. I also have access to a press so bearings are pretty easy to press in and out.

Been researching intensely all day and I'm also going to look into the prop shaft, front diff and motor mounts. I haven't noticed any movement of the engine that would make me think I had one or more bad mounts, but worth a look.

This stuff always happens in the dead of winter so you have work in the cold or wait for good weather. So frustrating. Oh to have a heated garage and a lift. That would be the life. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
No worries. I'd suggest that you add steering fluid that is specifically designed for Honda as these vehicles to steering fluid level. Let us know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts