Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I believe my 2005 CRV has a minor transmission oil leak. I do not see any oil around the case. But I do see a bit around this part which I do not know. Is that the drive shaft case?

IMG_20160710_153645_CRV_1.jpg

IMG_20160710_154313_crv-2.jpg

The leak is very minor. I see a drop or 2 every few months. Is it easy to fix?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
I'm sure it can be fixed, but at what expense?

IMO the best course of action is to assure that all casing bolts are tight...then monitor the fluid level regularly.

Verify that it is transmission fluid by having you (or your mechanic) clean the surrounding areas, then follow up in a week or two to see where exactly the leak is coming from. (From the picture, it seems to me that the leak is higher up on the drivetrain.)

If the drop or two every 6 months bothers you, put a pan under the car when parked. (Or a piece of corrugated cardboard, LOL)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good idea. I just wanted to know where it leaks because the transmission case seems bone dry. The car has only 40k miles. Engine is good. But some age related issues seem to pop up here and there.
Thanks Carbuff2

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
If you could sample the drip & then compare it to engine oil or tranny fluid. Engine oil & tranny fluid also has their own distinct smell. Was anything done before this happened? Have you checked the valve cover gasket? Or it could be that who did the oil change spilled some on the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I am from Australia with a similiar leak on my 2003 awd crv.

I dont think its leaking from the shifter seal. It appears to come from the two screws circled. Anyone have any ideas?

I have cleaned the area and will recheck tomorrow. Also have check the torque and seems ok.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts