Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow CR-V owners! First post, please forgive any faux-pas-

2005 CR-V, bought new. Have taken good care of it, and in a lot of ways we love it. VIN indicates UK assembly, if that matters.

Starting at about 70K miles, very intermittent, I would be driving normally, and look down and the temp gauge would be in the red and the tach, speedometer, and gas gauges were all at 0. Next time I drove it and for quite awhile, it did not re-occur. Probably happened less than 10 times in 2 years. Very hard to replicate and car was driving normally, so I ignored it. I took a photo at one point because my mechanic did not believe me.

Another intermittent problem at about 90K was a draining battery if the car was parked for more than 2 days, which was never diagnosed (the battery and alternator tested fine). One weird thing about it was that if I removed the fuse that controls the radio from the box when I had to leave the car for an extended time, the drainage did not occur. After the 90K service with tune-up, it has not happened again.

Recently, at about 94K, the VSA light, check engine, and brake lights are all on. Again, car is driving fine, but I don't want to ignore something that could be a safety issue or strand me. Also, don't want to get taken at a dealer and hard to decide how much money to put in to a 10 year old car..

So, CRV expert community - ECU? Alternator (in spite of negative testing)? Oil filter screen?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like an alternator that is going bad. Or even a bad battery. When was the battery replaced ? Try to test the voltage output of the alternator when the dash gauges are acting funny see what the voltage is. In regards about pulling the fuse for the radio & then no drainage will occur as the radio needs some battery power to keep the memory in the preset buttons. Usually if there is no problem with the braking system & the voltage is low the brake warning light will come on as there is a resistor in the reservoir that triggered by the low system voltage. Do you have a jumper pack? If so, try also this. When the gauges are in zero & the temp is in the hot zone place the terminals of the booster pack on the battery to stabilize the voltage & then see if the gauges goes to normal. Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Otto888man - thank you very much for responding to my question quickly. I would not have guessed that all those dire warning lights were telling me that the battery and/or alternator were going.

I don't have a voltage meter or jumper pack (although I might get one now).
In the interest of trying the lowest cost option first, I had the battery replaced today. I just drove it home from the garage, maybe 5 miles - but so far, NO Warning lights on the instrument panel - yay!

Hopefully that fixed it. Thank you again

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
No problem! That's a good direction you took. Most likely that's the problem you are having. Let me know how it turns out. What brand of battery did you installed? Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Make sure the battery connection cables and their connectors are in good shape (not broken wires at the connector, corrosion, etc).
Also, check the grounding strap connection points for tightness and cleanliness.
The two main ones are:
From the battery neg connector to the frame.
From that same frame (near the top of the radiator) to the engine.
If you ever get any flickering, check the connections to the main fuse in the under-the-hood fuse/relay box.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello fellow CR-V owners! First post, please forgive any faux-pas-

2005 CR-V, bought new. Have taken good care of it, and in a lot of ways we love it. VIN indicates UK assembly, if that matters.

Starting at about 70K miles, very intermittent, I would be driving normally, and look down and the temp gauge would be in the red and the tach, speedometer, and gas gauges were all at 0. Next time I drove it and for quite awhile, it did not re-occur. Probably happened less than 10 times in 2 years. Very hard to replicate and car was driving normally, so I ignored it. I took a photo at one point because my mechanic did not believe me.

Another intermittent problem at about 90K was a draining battery if the car was parked for more than 2 days, which was never diagnosed (the battery and alternator tested fine). One weird thing about it was that if I removed the fuse that controls the radio from the box when I had to leave the car for an extended time, the drainage did not occur. After the 90K service with tune-up, it has not happened again.

Recently, at about 94K, the VSA light, check engine, and brake lights are all on. Again, car is driving fine, but I don't want to ignore something that could be a safety issue or strand me. Also, don't want to get taken at a dealer and hard to decide how much money to put in to a 10 year old car..

So, CRV expert community - ECU? Alternator (in spite of negative testing)? Oil filter screen?

Can you confirm if this fixed the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes - my daughter said the gauges dropped down and them came back. It happened a couple times while driving but never did it again. I am sure it's going to happen again.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
If you can have the battery & the alternator checked. Check the battery terminals for looseness. Check the battery ground that goes to the body & engine. If you could take voltage sample while the Ganges fluctuate.

Otto

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Has this ever happened at night? Notice any change in headlight brightness?
Do the radio, heater fan or power outlets “die” at the same time as the instruments?
The closer you can identify/focus on the affected circuits, the better.

Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose-waiting for total failure could be an option.
Potential fault zones include bad dashboard grounds and a defective circuit board controlling the instruments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 has had same intermittent symptoms. Then alternator and battery failure with a burned wire and blown fuses. Repair paperwork does not say which ones. New alternator and battery, but symptoms have returned. Battery connections at posts are good. Cigar lighter voltmeter says system is charging normally during the event. There are a few other forum posts about this under speedometer issues, etc. Searching for answers.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts