Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is a bit strange. While driving with the rear cargo area loaded, the rear window latch warning light flashes, as well as the rear cargo illuminating/dome light. The symptom is most notable when driving uphill on rough roads. Removed the cargo load, flashing reduced substantially but not entirely. I'm suspecting a wiring short underneath the rear cargo area. Does anyone know where the wiring from the rear window latch (trigger and light switch) goes - i.e. under the cargo floor somewhere? Also, is the warning switch integral to the window latch mechanism, and if so, is this adjustable? This question assumes the weight-in-cargo-area- wiring short theory doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is a little protruded area on the rear tailgate that matches up with the switch on the frame. This area may have been slightly flattened and now is not pushing on the door jam switch to turn the cargo light off. Or another possibility is that the switch may be the problem. A quick fix for you would be to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the end of the door jam switch to build it up and allow the tailgate to push on it more.

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a little protruded area on the rear tailgate that matches up with the switch on the frame. This area may have been slightly flattened and now is not pushing on the door jam switch to turn the cargo light off. Or another possibility is that the switch may be the problem. A quick fix for you would be to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the end of the door jam switch to build it up and allow the tailgate to push on it more.

Cheers
ZAZE
Just to confirm, this is the glass hatch in the door that's the problem, not the door itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry then I misunderstood you. I would think that the window latch may be the issue.

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm suspecting there's a short in the wiring, perhaps below the the floor of the cargo compartment. Is anyone familiar with the wiring harness routing as it leaves the rear door area torward the front of the vehicle? The symptom is related to weight on the cargo floor, but would like to see if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
I'm not aware of a Hatch Warning Light that is separate from the tailgate warning light? This, for North American models. (Just verified on my car, the top-center icon with a "sedan's trunk open" serves both the glass hatch and the entire tailgate)

As mentioned, the L-shaped switch (below the latch on the LH side of the tailgate opening) is historically marginal. See if wrapping a rubber band around it (so that the door pushes it in further) eliminates the light. If it does, a good fix is to tuck one or two small washers into the rubber boot covering the switch.

It is also worth verifying that the tailgate latch itself is tight. The screws take a lot of force to fully tighten...after multiple tries, I finally used an impact driver to successfully tighten the latch screws on my car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ha...that puts a different spin on this...I've always thought the door open light covers the rear tailgate, and that separate light indicates the state of the glass panel only. Thanks for the info, will look at this more closely when I get home from my travels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts