Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my Gen 2 CRV for a couple of weeks and haven't driven it once yet (not insured and have other cars so it's not needed to go out yet).

I noticed the majority of the bulbs on the switches and climate control had blown so decided to change them all to LED ones. The dash was stripped and switches all removed. Whilst doing this, I noticed the carpet was a little damp on the drivers side.

I've not removed all the seats and the carpet to get a better look. The entire carpet backing was wet throughout the car, but definitely more so in the drivers foot well (UK car so passenger side for most of you lot) - but I wondered whether this was because it has the most foam backing (whereas there is only a small amount in passenger side and the rear)...?

I've since sprayed the car with lots of water and cannot find any leaks around the drivers side, which has remained seemingly dry (although I can't remove the sound deadening material from behind the pedals without removing the entire dash - and this is wet at the bottom where it meets the floor, but doesn't appear to be wet higher up). The sunroof drains are fine and dry with no leaks there are no puddles, but there is some minor rust on the low spots of the floor, mainly in the middle and rear passenger area.

Whilst spraying the car a waterfall of water came in through the top of the tailgate, where the seal meets the tailgate itself. On closer inspection, the tailgate isn't pressing against this seal so there is a gap.
Trouble is, the striker plate is as far back as it will go so I can't get the latch to pull the tailgate closer because there is no more adjustment. If I take the metal latch striker off, the tailgate closes and the seal is tight (but obviously the door isn't latched at all). The wheel well area under the picnic table had a pool of water in it and I think the water has gotten to the passenger floor as there is a rubber boot mat in the boot (always has been) and it seems it may have allowed the water to travel from the boot to the carpet under the rear seats, and then run down to the lower area of the car.

The seal looks in good shape - it doesn't appear flat or perished but it's 10 years old and the tailgate hinge had worn so I wonder when the pin was replaced, whether this has moved the tailgate out again and so the seal has in fact been flattened from years of a worn pin pushing on it...?
The seals seem hard to come by and new ones are £70 / $120 which seems a lot for a bit of rubber!

Anyone else come across this, and found a fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a 2004 CRV and have a similar problem. The rear liftgate leaks. It also appears to be misaligned and does not close tightly. Is there any resources online about aligning the liftgate? I would prefer to do this myself rather than pay the repair shop.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
On this siye I know there is a nice write up a guy did about his 2nd gen leaking at the fire wall. The material they used to seal the seams between panels drys out allowing water in.

That may be part of the problem the OP is having.

As for the 2nd poster, I do not know how to align the rear door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts