Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am undecided on which CR-V to pick up. Right now I have two to decide from and have negotiated their prices down. I was originally looking for a 05-06 5 speed EX, which I did find, but the seller had sold it from under me and it's pretty rare to find one. I plan on selling if I am able to find a standard one. I'm not a huge fan of beige interior, but the condition of the car is also the cleanest I have seen.

2005 CR-V SE, Black
$7,600 with 87,000 miles
Exterior is fair. No dings or dents, but paint has oxidation on hood, chipped paint on driver door edge, entire trunk and tire cover have been cheaply painted. Rims have curbage, missing center cap.
Interior is also fair with wear and tear. Driver seat has a tear on the lower front left, rest of the interior needs reconditioning. Missing left rear seat belt bolt cap and LATCH covers.

Vehicle was owned by an older couple that can no longer drive.

2006 CR-V SE, White
$8,600 with 111,000 miles
Exterior is almost immaculate. Only fault was the tire cover had been scratched from someone running along side it, a tiny paint chip from a rock that has minor rust, and it had the front bumper replaced from an accident, which was professionally repaired.
Interior had been detailed and looks very clean. Nothing missing from what I could see.

This is the second owner, that is looking for a bigger car.
I have test driven both and both have been properly maintained mechanically. Which do you recommend me going for? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi there! The difference in mileage is rather negligible imo. While both may have been properly maintained, it seems as though the '06 likely received better care all around. While I'm hardly a neat freak, I do like to take pride in my vehicles and if it were me I'd feel better driving the nicer of the two (especially interior stuff that is more labor intensive to deal with). Sounds like the '05 may have been driven by Mr. Magoo ;) I think the '06 is the better deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there! The difference in mileage is rather negligible imo. While both may have been properly maintained, it seems as though the '06 likely received better care all around. While I'm hardly a neat freak, I do like to take pride in my vehicles and if it were me I'd feel better driving the nicer of the two (especially interior stuff that is more labor intensive to deal with). Sounds like the '05 may have been driven by Mr. Magoo ;) I think the '06 is the better deal.
Thank you for your insight!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I’d have a closer look at the front end repair before jumping on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have said the 2006, but the pricing is high on that especially with the accident history. I wouldn't pay more than $7500 for it.

I would try to negotiate a bit more on the 2005 SE. The exterior can be fixed by a detailing job with clay bar, compound and wax (DIY if you are into it, or get it done for around $200). Interior can be fixed using a combination of leather conditioner and APC. If you buy the 2005 SE, spend about $500 to fix it, you can easily get what you spent if you decide to sell it later (since you mentioned you would likely sell this if you get an EX). However, I'm worried about the poor paint job on the trunk and tire cover. Why was it done? Check if it had been in a rear end accident.

Regardless of which one you decide to go with, do take it to an independent mechanic and get a pre-purchase inspection done.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts