Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter a 2005 V, from my sister in law's mother (by marriage.). It has just under 142K miles on it. It was in decent condition but I changed every fluid and spark plugs, serpentine belt, brakes and tires plus had some body work done and an interior detail.

I'm having that dreaded Honda starter problem where it won't turn over, even with a jump start, then miraculously it starts 5 minutes later after blanking out the stereo system.

I figure it's a bad solo kid on the starter. Any suggestions other than replacing the starter. If replacing the starter is the best option are their better aftermarket starters or will a rebuilt OEM work versus buying another OEM starter. I just don't want to do this again next Summer. The cold months are setting in quickly and this needs to be fixed before the first snows make it impossible to work on outside.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"What should we start with?"
"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"
"Good? It will make you believe in God!"

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I assume that this is an automatic transmission. If so, have you tried to shift the shifter into neutral & then see if it starts? I do not understand what do you mean by blanking the radio? It has a Planetary type reduction starter. It will produce a different symptom compared to the conventional type of starters that we are used to. Like if the solenoid is bad, you will get clicking sound or if the battery has a low state of charge. Not these reduction type starters. A good name remanucfactured starters will be good. You can also get remanufactured from the dealer but will be a bit more. Let me know.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,740 Posts
Am I showing my age by suggesting that it's the starter solenoid contacts? These are available from the dealer for not much money. (Either $21 or $8 on BernardiParts, depending on which starter you have, probably a Japan VS UK thing)

If you don't want to deal with that, pull the starter and bring it to an auto electric shop...I trust my locally repaired OEM more than an unknown rebuild.

++++++++

Meanwhile keep a hammer (along with a long screwdriver) in the car so you can WHACK the starter if it refuses to co-operate in the meantime!

++++++++

Another thought: Make sure that the battery terminals (and the corresponding connections on the big wires) are tight, I've had several 'small' terminals on replacement batteries that needed to be shimmed to connect reliably.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If by 'blanking' out the stereo means the stereo needed resetting with the proper code, then it sounds like you lost power.
The starter will not cause that. Perhaps a loose or corroded connection at the battery grounding strap (goes from the neg terminal to the body), or the one that goes from the body (near the top of the radiator) to the engine is to blame. It could be at one of the fuse/relay boxes.
If 'blanking' out the stereo means something else, then forget the above.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
If by 'blanking' out the stereo means the stereo needed resetting with the proper code, then it sounds like you lost power.
The starter will not cause that. Perhaps a loose or corroded connection at the battery grounding strap (goes from the neg terminal to the body), or the one that goes from the body (near the top of the radiator) to the engine is to blame. It could be at one of the fuse/relay boxes.
If 'blanking' out the stereo means something else, then forget the above.
Buffalo4

Thanks Buffalo4 for the clarification. You are always helpful & very knowledgeable on everything.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Buffalo4 is right with the radio has blanked out because of power failure. You could have a bad ground in the system. Or a bad cell in the battery that is also intermittent. Let us know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Buffalo4 for the clarification. You are always helpful & very knowledgeable on everything.
The power went out by checking the battery in both instances. Terminals are fastened. Yes I was referring to the code needing to be reset.

My FIL gets parts at cost plus 10%. He's a retired mechanic but still delivers part time to pay for health insurance. So a new starter has been ordered.

Now if the weather will cooperate, we will get it installed as soon as we get the V back from having the Right side body work is reassembled. The car was sideswiped while parked in a lot. Nice right, especially with no note. New head light. Paint damaged all the way as well as messing up the front bumper cover.

We got the V for $1500 cash. Have put almost $2500, into a full restoration. I don't have a manual so getting a code was a bit of a problem but the dealer had me push the first and last radio presets. Then we read him the code. He gave us one back. Somehow the paper with that info was lost during restoration. I tried that recovery by pressing the preset buttons but must have not been pushed exact and it started with the C-O-D-E thing and finally stopped as we tried too many times. I hope it has reset once again for another shot at retrieving those digits again

The dealer said the only other option was to actually pull the radio and get numbers off the back. I hate tearing down a dash so I hope it doesn't come to that. May just replace it as the daughter doesn't own any CDs. Crazy kids!

Thanks for all the responses.

Loved the comment on the ball peen hammer/screwdriver combo. A must have for anybody who has ever ridden a Harley Davidson

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received a remanufactured starter courtesy of my FIL. Now it comes down to the weather. It snowed here yesterday for the first time. No accumulation but 30 miles East saw 3". Probably gone by now. It looks like I will need to pull in the V to work on and pull all of the stuff to access that starter area. I hate removing belts and then replevin then properly. I need another hand for that. Hopefully the FIL is around this next week or two to give me a hand. After this and the body work this V should be all ready for the daughter to learn Winter driving in. For now she has been driving the wife's 2013 CR-V, but her steering is electric and a bit different that the 2005. Other than the seating, I actually prefer the 2005. I'm not a fan of the new dash in circular look. Still that dinner table seating of the 2005 is hard on my 6'3" body. I'm glad my daughter likes that upright position and we both like the regular power-assisted rack and pinion steering. I've never liked electronic assisted steering. Call me old school.

"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got the V back with right side body work and paint done. Front bumper cover changed out as well as the grill. It looks so nice but smells of paint and thinner. It will soon clear out.

Thanks to the nice folks here, I was able to get the CD/Radio working again. Have the numbers on file now. The web site sent me a confirmation email as well. Definitely road worthy but I think I will need some exhaust work done next Spring and some rear suspension stuff done at the same time.

"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts